Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

15 Beauty 'Products' That Are Hiding Right in Your Own Kitchen (PHOTOS)

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 4 Replies

15 Beauty 'Products' That Are Hiding Right in Your Own Kitchen

by Mary Fischer

15 kitchen goodies that double as beauty productsWe all want to do our best to take care of our skin so we don't wind up looking all haggard and wrinkly when we're older, but let's be honest -- maintaining a proper skin care regimen can be a bit taxing on our wallets. And aside from the expense of fancy skin care products, many of them have quite a few ingredients we can't pronounce, which makes it kind of scary to put them all over our face and bodies.

But believe it or not, there are plenty of great skin care treatments that are probably already in your refrigerator or pantry that are just as effective as the pricey stuff.

Check out the photos below to see 15 skin care "products" that will save you money and make your complexion glow.

1. Baking Soda

Actress Emma Stone uses baking soda to exfoliate her skin, and the best part is it only costs a buck!

2. Lemon Juice

When applied to the skin, lemon juice reduces acne, fades scars, and lightens discolorations. Simply use a cotton swab to dab it on your face, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse with warm water.

3. Papaya

Celeb mom Kristin Cavallari swears by papaya to hydrate her skin. She puts it in a blender, then leaves the mixture on her face for 5 minutes.

4. Sugar

Yes, plain old sugar can be used as an exfoliant. Grab the bag from your pantry, dampen your skin, gently scrub with sugar, rinse, and voila!

5. Green Tea

Tea bags aren't just for reducing eye puffiness. Green tea brightens and soothes your skin -- so dab that tea bag all over your face instead of focusing on your eyes.

6. Cucumbers

Sure, they're great for dark circles and under-eye bags, but cucumber slices also reduce inflammation and prevent water rentention on other areas of your skin too.

7. Oranges

Oranges help restore collagen and vitamin C improves skin texture and color. Freezing orange juice in ice cube trays and rubbing the cubes on your face will keep you cool this summer, and make your skin glow.

8. Potatoes

Grinding up a potato and rubbing the juice on your face daily prevents wrinkles. Can you believe it?

9. Sour Cream

A sour cream facial mask restores moisture and also brightens your complexion. Simply spread it onto your face and let it sit for 7 to 10 minutes before rinsing.

10. Sea Salt

Sea salts draw toxins out of the skin in addition to exfoliating, stimulating cell growth, and helping to reduce swelling. Used as a scrub or made into a paste -- you'll be glowing in no time!

11. Ice Cubes

Actress Tia Mowry rubs ice cubes on her face at night to "bring back circulation to the skin and tighten it up."

12. Bananas

Applying banana to your skin helps treat breakouts, restores collagen, moisturizes, restores nutrients to the skin, and helps with anti-aging.

13. Coffee

Dr. Oz recommends mixing coffee grounds with olive oil to make a paste you rub into your skin and leave on for 30 seconds. Coffee acts as an anti-inflammatory.

14. Apple Cider Vinegar

Scarlett Johansson washes her face with apple cider vinegar to keep her skin glowing and balance its natural pH.

15. Kiwi

Scrub kiwi on your face to help even out skin texture and help fight free radicals too!

What are your favorite household beauty products?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I have tried most of these. I use vinegar the most at my house.

suziejax
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I love this! Thanks!

SassyWildflower
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM

i haven't tried any of these

suziejax
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I do the apple cider tricks, the sea salt, sugar and I also use olive oil for my skin, sometimes I use tea bags for eyes! Lemons work great to for lighting skins sun spots.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN