Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you have any tips and tricks to saving money?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 19 Replies

10 Ways to Save Money That We're Ashamed to Admit

by Emily Abbate

Piggy bank brokenI don't know about you guys, but I am all for saving money wherever I can. Especially when it comes to grocery shopping and things around the house. Heck, have you been to the supermarket lately? I feel like the prices are going up on the regular and I'm drowning trying to get the basics! Which is why we all have our own little tricks and tips on how to save funds, amirite?

The catch? Not all of these things are techniques you want to brag about to your friends. In fact, some of them are a little disgusting. Check out these 10 money-saving tricks that you may be a little embarrassed to admit:

1. Watering down milk: One CafeMom user admits that since her son loves milk so much, she usually adds water so it lasts longer. Hello, brilliant! Double the milk for half the price? Yes, please.

2. Cut down on laundry detergent: After experimenting, one CafeMom user admits she uses half of the normal amount of detergent in each load and is unable to tell the difference. Definitely one of those "I'll have to see for myself" techniques, but could TOTALLY be worth a shot!

3. Flushing less often: A little gross? Yeah, slightly. But one CafeMom user admits that flushing a few less times a day helped save her and her family a whopping $70 a month!

4. Use expired coupons at self-checkout: Expired coupons may not be such a bad thing anymore. Apparently a lot of self-checkout machines take 'em, according to one CafeMom user. Discount heaven, here I come!

5. Dilute your shampoo: Conditioner is a bit thicker and harder to fuss with, but most shampoos are fine with a little added water. Take out 1/3 of the bottle, replace it with water, and mix well.

6. Reuse containers as bowls: Ever had Cool Whip or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter? Well those containers are perfect for cereal, and MUCH cheaper than those fancy schmancy bowls you've been eyeing from Pottery Barn. 

7. Reuse paper bags as trash bags: One CafeMom user saves some cash by using the paper bags we all snag groceries in as trash bags at home.

8. Air dry: Save money on electricity bills by hanging clothes out to dry instead of throwing them in a dryer. Who cares if it takes longer?

9. Buy closer to expiration date: If you're at the store looking for chicken or meats you know you're going to cook same day or next, look for packages with upcoming dates. The products are still good and often are put on sale since stores want to get rid of 'em.

10. Rinse coffee filters: Think that coffee filter is done after one use? Think again. Simply rinse out the grinds and lay it flat to dry. You should be able to use it once more, at least.

Do you have any tips and tricks to saving money?

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

We dont eat out very often, buy only supplies for the house when they are on sale, then I buy in bulk...(toilet paper, paper towels, etc) ..speaking of paper towels, they arent a necessity and for years I couldnt afford them, but  it is one thing I like being able to dry my hands with...germ phobia here, I also buy my church clothes at a really upscale thrift store....love their choices...many times I buy clothes that I couldnt afford the store they came from....we buy from a local amish bent and dent store for a few canned goods, most of my dishes are antique or, in the least, very old,..have bought them from antique stores, thrift stores and yard sales...love the hunt.

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM
We save money by cloth diapering, me using mama cloth, cloth wipes, and using rags for cleaning up instead of paper towels. I hardly ever use paper products. We also save money in the infant stages by me breast feeding and I make our own baby food with all the stuff my other kids normally eat.

We also don't use a lot of detergent. I do what the article said and use about half or less than what is called for. We reuse containers from butter or our coffe containers. I need to get a reusable coffee filter. Also we don't use dryer sheets. We either deal with the static or we use dryer balls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I love our diapers!! They have saved us soo much money. We had two im cloth for a little over a year and thrn my middle child decided to finally potty train. But come fall we will have two in diapers again. So cloth just seemed right. my kids loved that I made most of ther food. Id bhy some premade foods not often.

Quoting Caitlin411:

Your whole first paragraph is what we did when we had babies. I miss my cloth diapers and trying new food with the baby.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

We save money by cloth diapering, me using mama cloth, cloth wipes, and using rags for cleaning up instead of paper towels. I hardly ever use paper products. We also save money in the infant stages by me breast feeding and I make our own baby food with all the stuff my other kids normally eat.

We also don't use a lot of detergent. I do what the article said and use about half or less than what is called for. We reuse containers from butter or our coffe containers. I need to get a reusable coffee filter. Also we don't use dryer sheets. We either deal with the static or we use dryer balls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Tfs. We do a lot of what's already been said in pp.

dalbax2
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I don't buy brand name at the grocery store unless it's a real good deal.  I hunt thrift stores, yard sales etc for clothes, craft supplies, etc.  I buy the cheapest paper towels and toilet paper I can find since they just get thrown out anyways.  I have to go to the laundermat to wash my clothes but bring them home to hang out on my porch.  I will buy meat that has been reduced since it will be going into my freezer.  I will also buy dented cans or boxes.  I will re-use containers.  This is pretty much the way I was raised and it's just a way of life now.  Living on a very limited income.

suziejax
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

re used plastic  food containers as storage 

suziejax
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM

coupons when needed

suziejax
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Shop at Alidis for a lot of my stuff

suziejax
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I take usable scraps of paper and make my own homemade note pads for my desk

suziejax
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

use plastic shopping bags as small trash can bags

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN