Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you let anyone smoke in your home?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 36 Replies

My fil came over and lit up a cigarette without even blinking, much less asking whether it was okay with us. My dh and I neither one smoke and anyone else who does and visits has always asked first.

I asked him to take it outside and he frowned and said that was stupid and went back to watching TV. Then, to make matters worse, he reached over and grabbed a crystal dish my grandmother gave me and used it as an ashtray and ignored me. I was livid!

When my dh got home from work, he took one look at his dad sitting there dunking ashes in my grandmother's antique dish and my apoplectic face and sent his dad packing.

Do you let anyone smoke in your home? If they did what fil did, what would you do?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM
No one smokes in our house. If I have someone over who smokes they are asked to go outside. If they don't then they can.leave. I grew up with my mom smoking in the house and I couldn't stand it. I also hate when people smoke in my car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaci
by Kaci on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM
No one smokes in my home. When dh smoked he did it outside. I would have taken the cigarette and put it out if he did not put it out himself. you just don't do things like that in someone elses home.
Kaci
by Kaci on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM
my mom has years ago, lit up in here but she ended up outside on the porch.
MariannLws
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

No smoking allowed in our house or cars. If someone ignored our non smoking wishes they would be asked to go outside or leave. 

I've had family members not visit because they couldn't smoke in our home. Wow. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

no way :)

SassyWildflower
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM

No! And if that happened in my home, he would have found himself on his behind OUTSIDE! 

That's beyond disrespectful!

dingysfamily
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

No we don't allow smoking in our house and we make it known if anyone starts to light up.  I would have told that man, father-in-law or not, to either put out his cigarette or go outside & smoke it; as for using that dish as an ashtray ... no way, I would have immediately picked it up and taken it into the kitchen and tossed the ashes out and washed the dish. 

Kaci
by Kaci on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
at 1 time I found out that my youngest son was smoking when he did it in my suv. I could barely breathe in it afterwards. he was not allowed to drive my SUV again.

Quoting MariannLws:

No smoking allowed in our house or cars. If someone ignored our non smoking wishes they would be asked to go outside or leave. 

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

No smoking, no cursing, no drinking, no sleeping in the same bed if not married...we are old school, but we like it that way.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

That would upset me also....we dont even eat in our vehicles and ours are older.

Quoting Kaci:

at 1 time I found out that my youngest son was smoking when he did it in my suv. I could barely breathe in it afterwards. he was not allowed to drive my SUV again.

Quoting MariannLws:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN