Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

I need help please...

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
  • 22 Replies
I currently live in a two bedroom apartment. One of the bedrooms is not in use bc the ceiling gets so damp, it literally drips water in there and produces mildew on the ceiling. Because of this, the windows have to stay open all the time, all year round. We live on the third floor of a six floor building.

Moving is not an option for us at this time.

Is there anyway to get rid of the damp coming out the ceiling?
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you rent? if so your landlord has to fix that and if they refuse, contact HUD and report them.
AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Take pictures, lots of them.  File a report with the apartment complex/manager.  Request a new unit.  You're paying for 2 bedrooms and you are only able to use 1 of them.  You are allowed to request a new unit.  

If they refuse to either a) fix the problem or b) move you to a new apartment, then they are in violation of your lease contract and you are allowed to take them to court to let you out of your lease so that you can find adequate housing.

Mabuka
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I definitely agree with the previous posters. You need to tell someone about it and get it fixed asap!!
rocamom
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I agree with that the other ladies have said.  Take MANY pictures.  Start with your landlord and if they won't fix it I would call the board of health or code enforcement.  GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on what's happening.

psych_mom
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Agree with above posters. Your landlord is in violation if he is not fixing the issue.

offrdngal
by Terri on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

Take pictures, lots of them.  File a report with the apartment complex/manager.  Request a new unit.  You're paying for 2 bedrooms and you are only able to use 1 of them.  You are allowed to request a new unit.  

If they refuse to either a) fix the problem or b) move you to a new apartment, then they are in violation of your lease contract and you are allowed to take them to court to let you out of your lease so that you can find adequate housing.

This. Be sure to send all requests/letters via Certified Mail.

mmtosam06
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM
This

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM

DEFINATELY, ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!

snuggiewoogie
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Yikes..... Hope it improves......

MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM

thats fucked up.  that apartment should be condemned.  this is so weird  having to have windows open all day and night.  endangering ur and ur familys health!!!  this is unacceptable.   girl moving should and would be an option if it were up to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)