Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Would You Recommend Making A Custom Purchase From The Home Depot?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 74 Replies

Big custom purchases can be nerve racking, but with the right help and easy to understand options, it can be easier than you think!  If you've made a custom purchase from The Home Depot, tell us about it!

~CafeMom Team

CafeMom gave 25 moms Home Depot gift cards to use to make a custom Levolor purchase.

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM

When I discovered that I was going to be purchasing the custom Levelor blinds, I went to the Home Depot website and searched "Custom Levelor".  This gave me an idea of styles and they have a building feature where you can choose your style, see it in different colors, and then add features and see what the pricing is.  I found this helpful, but I was still unsure about purchasing in this manner.  I'm a hands-on type of girl, and I like to see and feel what I am getting.

I then went to the Home Depot store, and went to the custom finishings department (where they have flooring, carpet, blinds, wallcoverings, etc.) and spoke with the salesperson there.  She was very helpful and quite knowledgeable about the products.  

There were some blinds hanging already, but they weren't really the type that I ended up choosing.  Most were the straight variety and we ended up with an S curve vertical, which I think will stack neater and look prettier hanging.  We went through the custom Levelor books, and the salesperson told us how to look at the pricing columns (they are letter graded), how to tell the finishes, etc. 

We had trouble understanding what the backstacker was, and she was good at showing and explaining it (we ended up selecting it).  We were able to see a good approximation of what we were purchasing on the computer before we agreed to purchase.

I definitely prefer in store to online, but someone who is far from the store or who is more confident about what they want than I was when I started this process may be happy to do it online.  There was certainly a great deal of help available both ways.

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM

We went ahead to home depot and looked through all the books.They had many to look at. They explained the colors,costs and sizes.They had some on display.We choose to go to the store but also did look online.I felt it was better to go to the store as we could see more varieties and have any questions aanswered right then and there.

The lady that was in charge of that dept was very helpful and very knowledgeable.She helped us to decide what to get.She answered all our questions and even offered some advice.She explained what we would be getting and how they would hang.She showed us different prices and colors.

I would reccommend home depot to anyone interested in getting levolor or any other blinds.They know how to explain everything and are very patient. I had a very enjoyable experiance.

wandep
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I started checking Levolor blinds out online first to see what different blinds you could order and how much they would cost. Once we got our Home Depot gift card we went in person so that we could tell from the swatches how the blinds felt and looked. The girl that helped us at Home Depot was named Ti. She was very nice and friendly. I would definitely go to Home Depot again to purchase my Levolor blinds. 

Here's me checking out the Levolor blinds at Home Depot.

It was very easy to pick and choose the blinds to custom order.  Once you picked them out in the Levolor book Ti used the computer to order them for us. I think it took us like 30 - 40 minutes to order our vertical blinds for the sliding glass door.

Thanks again Cafemom, Levolor blinds, and Home Depot for giving me this opportunity to update my home! :)

Hottmomma607
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM

When I was first chosen for the Influencer I searched online! We kind of already had a previous idea of what we wanted. I liked the fabric micro no pull string blinds. But for our home&taste we really wanted the wide faux wood blinds.

I went before I got the GC to check em out in person and fell even more in love. There were people there to help me,I told them I was doing a special project for a website for moms. lol
When DH&went back with the measruements they were super helpful and the guy kept saying here there are!

They also made sure that we were getting the right ones for our home. And made sure we didn't need anything else. They showed the different blinds,colors,etc. I like they had them hanigng already in the store we got to see&feel slide them up&down,try to peak through or bend them like our kids do!

I will surely recommend Home Depot and Levelor blinds to others. Honestly DH&I always went to Lowes. This was a good experience for us.

johnny4ever
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I searched online before so we could get a understanding of what we were going to select.I found the nicest person ever at Home Depot.She did everything she could to help with measurements which were tough for us.Plus we had to travel 45 minutes just to get there.WE of course had to touch and play with all the blinds & shades.I love the selection of Levolor!Plus I found some nice curtain rods by Levolor that we are planning to buy next month for our Living Room!I recommend Home Depot & plan to return in a few weeks!
copperswifey
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM

We do not have a Home Depot very close to us, so the online shopping was esential.  I also love online shopping because I can browse at my own pace. I can slowly look at all the options and I don't feel the pressure ( weather real or imagined) to make a quick decision.  Overall, the process was very easy and simple to understand.  The only issue I experienced was certain options not being offered online.  I  called the closest Home Depot store and spoke with a sales person from window treatments.  He verified that I could get the options I wanted and walked me through ordering from him over the phone.  Even that process was simple and made easier by having everything online in front of me.  The only drawback, is the free shipping was only offered online, so now I will have to drive to Home Depot to pick up my blinds when they arrive or pay $100 to have them shipped to me.  I think I will be taking a drive!

RobynS
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I was a little nervous about measuring for blinds. I was so afraid I would do it wrong! But I watched a video by a helpful Home Depot dude and he made it seem easy!

Ordering was super easy, too. Blinds are on the way, so we will soon see if I measured correctly. I can't wait to get DD's new blinds up!

chicken13
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

We've placed custom ordesr with Home Depot before.  Just never for window treatments.  The online setup was confusing.  I kept reading the specifications for the Roman Blinds and then entering my measurements and getting a big fat error.  It's also really hard to tell what color something is online, so I knew I'd either be ordering a fist full of swatches or going to look at the sample book in store.  So ultimately, I just gave up on the online ordering since I had to go to the store anyway.

Typically, I love online shopping and ordering.  Even for complex orders.  I live pretty far from stores and I hate getting to a store to find out they don't have what I need.  I'm also a big fan of ship to store.  I don't have to worry about when the UPS guy is coming and I can pick up my purchase when I get the time.  

Our in store purchase of the Levolor blinds at Home Depot was NOT easy.  Our associate was sweet and personable, but had no idea what she was doing.  She knew how to navigate the screens, but not what the terms meant, what options were available for what or how to measure things.  I ended up sitting next to her at the computer (associate side of the desk) and working it all out.  And I'm still not sure if I got the extra features I wanted.  Oh well....I don't have time to go back and as long as they are the right color and style, I'll live with it.

All in all.  It wasn't a bad experience or a good experience.  Kinda middle of the annoying road.

NocturnesAngel
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We preferred to look online because we wanted to see what was available & due to our schedules; ordering online works better for the both us, being able to sit down at the same time to search through all of our options, etc.

We were surprised at the vast options that were available, as well as, the videos, tutorials, etc. online.

We are very happy that we decided to look online & ultimately order online.

We are definitely open to recommending a Custom Purchase from Home Depot.

Our Experience has been a very positive one that we look forward to sharing.

rojastarr
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I chose to go to Home depot so I could see the blinds in person .... I find colors, textures, size etc lose something in the translation when viewed online. The staff at Home Depot were extremely helpful and the dispay of blinds was quite extensive. It was fun to look at the blinds and try to envision which ones would look best with my valances, room and shape of window. With the huge choices also in the catologues I was able to find the perfect color. They had the actual material in the catologues so there was no question about how it would look.The staff then made it easy to pre-order my blinds so they would be ready to go once my card came. I would recommend others to go to Home Depot if they need window treatments. I am so excited and cannot wait to see the boinds in person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)