Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rent to own?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
  • 30 Replies
Furniture. Have you ever done this? * I honestly think they are rip offs but that's just me. :)
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I once worked worked with a lady that did it; she couldn't find a place that would finace the furniture she liked, and she refused to use a credit card; so she went to one of those places ... she found exactly what she wanted, was able to get a great deal and it worked for her.  Now this was about 30 years ago, I have no idea how they are no.

Kaci
by Kaci on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM
My son and his fiancée went there today after a couple of furniture stores. They see the low monthly payment and the price. Then they see a little higher price at the regular stores. What they cannot seem to understand is that they will pay more than what its advertised for after its paid off. It was almost double. Smh

Quoting dingysfamily:

I once worked worked with a lady that did it; she couldn't find a place that would finace the furniture she liked, and she refused to use a credit card; so she went to one of those places ... she found exactly what she wanted, was able to get a great deal and it worked for her.  Now this was about 30 years ago, I have no idea how they are no.

bergencounty
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Friends did it when they married after their college graduation. They used it for a year , before they moved cross country. It enabled them to have furniture for the time they were here and not  have to worry about the moving costs. Then they bought their home in another state and new furniture.

Works for some people. I had never heard of it before I saw their furniture.

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Wouldn't that be just like buying a new car? You make monthly payments and even though the monthly price is good for you your still paying more because of interest.

For sone people it works fr others it doesn't.

Quoting Kaci:

My son and his fiancée went there today after a couple of furniture stores. They see the low monthly payment and the price. Then they see a little higher price at the regular stores. What they cannot seem to understand is that they will pay more than what its advertised for after its paid off. It was almost double. Smh

Quoting dingysfamily:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaci
by Kaci on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Okay thanks ladies. Your making me feel a little better about it.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Wouldn't that be just like buying a new car? You make monthly payments and even though the monthly price is good for you your still paying more because of interest.

Quoting Kaci:

Quoting dingysfamily:

psych_mom
by Stacy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

If the interest rate wasn't so high it wouldn't be so bad. Let's say your payment is $100 a month for 36 months, so you are paying $2600 more for you $1000 furniture that may or may not last much longer than the payment period.

Kaci
by Kaci on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM
What I initially thought was that even with the slightly higher price at the other furniture store after financing it that it would still be cheaper than rent to own?

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Quoting Kaci:

Quoting dingysfamily:

Kaci
by Kaci on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM
They were looking at a br suite that was $60 a month for 24 months. Price 900. That's over $1400.00.

Quoting psych_mom:

If the interest rate wasn't so high it wouldn't be so bad. Let's say your payment is $100 a month for 36 months, so you are paying $2600 more for you $1000 furniture that may or may not last much longer than the payment period.

psych_mom
by Stacy on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of furniture stores have 12-18 months interest free financing, plus, who makes the furniture? Is it quality furniture? Those are things they need to take into consideration.

Quoting Kaci:

What I initially thought was that even with the slightly higher price at the other furniture store after financing it that it would still be cheaper than rent to own?

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Quoting Kaci:

Quoting dingysfamily:

Kaci
by Kaci on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I agree! They are young and someone at this place has told her that if you want to change your furniture out you can.Smh I go for quality. Like my mom said " you get what you pay for".

Quoting psych_mom:

A lot of furniture stores have 12-18 months interest free financing, plus, who makes the furniture? Is it quality furniture? Those are things they need to take into consideration.

Quoting Kaci:

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Quoting Kaci:

Quoting dingysfamily:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)