Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you have ID Theft Protection?

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

Rocacmom's post got me to thinking about this. So do you have this kind of protection? If you do, does it protect all your accounts or just the use of your SS number?

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM

We have it through our checking account with our major bank and it covers our debit cards with that bank and our credit union as well as any credit cards. It also covers our social security numbers and will alert us if someone tries to use our numbers. We have $1Million in coverage and if anyone uses a card and we dispute it the money is immediately refunded.

We got this protection after we went out to eat with friends and their number was stolen from the restaurant we had eaten at. It could just as easily have been our card instead of their card number. Thankfully with our bank, if their is a suspicious transaction they will immediately block that particular card from being used until they contact us.

Sisteract
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

LifeLock

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
We do not. But the last few weeks I have been reading about one of my friends who has been dealing witn all their money being taken from some lone stealing their card info while on vacation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Am not sure ::blush::
Thinking we must have something ;)

SassyWildflower
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I have a thing with my bank where if there is suspicious spending, they will call meand verify whether it's me or not. When we lived in MT, DH made quite a bit more money so we went and did some hardcore shopping one day..lol...They froze my account until I called them and told them it was me and that my card hadn't ben stolen. lol

gr8d8n3mom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I have Theft/fraud protection on my credit reports. No one can do anything or try to open any accounts using my name, SS.# D.O.B. With out going thru the Credit report, they have to call me or they have to ask for my Picture ID.

I had to do this b/c my x ran up bills using my SS# & applied for fraudlent charge cards.  I had to file police reports and tell them if they found out it was him I would press charges. My credit report was a mess for a while until I got all that crap straightend out. I just got another one about 3 months ago for a cable bill for over $600!  I never lived where this bill was from, I had to prove everything, I was "guilty" until proven innocent. YET another police report, etc. 

psych_mom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM
My dad went through this and he's still dealing with the ramifications of it. With the protection we have if we apply for credit there will be extra steps but so worth it.

Quoting gr8d8n3mom:

I have Theft/fraud protection on my credit reports. No one can do anything or try to open any accounts using my name, SS.# D.O.B. With out going thru the Credit report, they have to call me or they have to ask for my Picture ID.

I had to do this b/c my x ran up bills using my SS# & applied for fraudlent charge cards.  I had to file police reports and tell them if they found out it was him I would press charges. My credit report was a mess for a while until I got all that crap straightend out. I just got another one about 3 months ago for a cable bill for over $600!  I never lived where this bill was from, I had to prove everything, I was "guilty" until proven innocent. YET another police report, etc. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Our bank is the same way. We got the extra protection though that covers us all the way around, social security numbers, credit cards and all.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

I have a thing with my bank where if there is suspicious spending, they will call meand verify whether it's me or not. When we lived in MT, DH made quite a bit more money so we went and did some hardcore shopping one day..lol...They froze my account until I called them and told them it was me and that my card hadn't ben stolen. lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM
It's getting bad. The worse part is they're stealing card numbers and making new cards with another person's name on the card. As soon as we found out what happened with our friends that we went to dinner with we immediately cancelled dh's card and did the research on protecting ourselves.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

We do not. But the last few weeks I have been reading about one of my friends who has been dealing witn all their money being taken from some lone stealing their card info while on vacation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gr8d8n3mom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Yes it is, when we sold our house, and I was applying for Electric at our new place, it popped up. I heard her say yes, she is standing right in front of me. Then she told me it's working, they were very thorough. I was very glad.

I'm upset, because they use "secret questions" that any former long term SO/ or Spouse would know. They need to change that. 

Quoting psych_mom:

My dad went through this and he's still dealing with the ramifications of it. With the protection we have if we apply for credit there will be extra steps but so worth it.

Quoting gr8d8n3mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)