Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Can a cookie cutter house be individualized?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
  • 46 Replies

What do you think- can you live in a subdivision in a cookie cutter house and still feel like you are living in a house that is your own or do you think it will always feel like the same house everyone else has? What would you do other than just painting it to make it feel like your own?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Sure, a house - whether cookie cutter or not - is just a house, until you make it a home.  Making it a 'home' & putting your own personalization on/in it is what makes it different from every other house in the area ... whether you paint the outside, plant flowers/trees, and/or how you decorate the inside and outside.  It's the 'you' and 'your family' that you put into it that makes it a home and makes it different.

psych_mom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Most subdivisions do not allow people to paint their houses, plus a lot of those houses have vinyl siding and it isn't easily painted.

Quoting dingysfamily:

Sure, a house - whether cookie cutter or not - is just a house, until you make it a home.  Making it a 'home' & putting your own personalization on/in it is what makes it different from every other house in the area ... whether you paint the outside, plant flowers/trees, and/or how you decorate the inside and outside.  It's the 'you' and 'your family' that you put into it that makes it a home and makes it different.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

subdivisions (unless there are home associates you have to buy into) don't have control over what color your house is once you buy it. 

Quoting psych_mom:

Most subdivisions do not allow people to paint their houses, plus a lot of those houses have vinyl siding and it isn't easily painted.

Quoting dingysfamily:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by May 2014....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi, and exercising more? We shall see!!!! Follow me at MyFitnessPal

Wedding Countdown Ticker

psych_mom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

That is why I said MOST subdivisions. Where I live MOST have HOAs and control those things.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

subdivisions (unless there are home associates you have to buy into) don't have control over what color your house is once you buy it. 

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting dingysfamily:

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I'm not a fan of "cookie cutter" homes. When we were looking at houses the major builders here all used the same plans. Even the more upscale homes were the same plans(reversed) with a few upgrades. I guess you could do major upgrades on the inside to make it different. The only problem with doing too many upgrades is you might end up out pricing yourself from the other homes.  You could also do different landscaping.

SassyWildflower
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM
-if I couldn't personalize, I wouldn't live there. I would never live where there was a HOA.
Now, the houses in this area where I live are very similar but we can personalize and change things up. so if that is possible, then yes, I feel like its my own.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Tuesday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Perhaps but it would take time getting use to it ;)

Kaci
by Kaci on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Ditto!

Quoting SassyWildflower:

-if I couldn't personalize, I wouldn't live there. I would never live where there was a HOA.

Now, the houses in this area where I live are very similar but we can personalize and change things up. so if that is possible, then yes, I feel like its my own.
Life.Happens
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I have lived in cookie cutter houses almost all of my life. You can always make a home your own.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Not me. I'd be miserable in a house so close to, and so identical to the homes around it. I'm sure you could make it feel homey though if you don't mind the outside looking all the same.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)