Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Can a cookie cutter house be individualized?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you think- can you live in a subdivision in a cookie cutter house and still feel like you are living in a house that is your own or do you think it will always feel like the same house everyone else has? What would you do other than just painting it to make it feel like your own?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Replies (41-46):
.PilesOfLaundry
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

yes

Quoting SassyWildflower:

-if I couldn't personalize, I wouldn't live there. I would never live where there was a HOA.
Now, the houses in this area where I live are very similar but we can personalize and change things up. so if that is possible, then yes, I feel like its my own.

dingysfamily
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I think I'll not answer another question like this again!!  No one seemed to understand the point I was trying to make in the difference between a 'house' & a 'home'.  My first dh & I owned a townhouse once, the first place we owned actually, where they all virtually pretty much looked alike and we had an HOA.  Yeah, there were certain rules & regs, but for the most part, they were pretty good for the community.  Most HOAs are only as good as the people running them & unfortunately, so many people in the community don't want to be bothered when it comes to being on the board and involved; they only want to complain.  At any rate ... again, whether you have a cookie cutter house or not, and whether or not you can or can not paint the outside, YOU CAN PERSONALIZE it and make it a home.  That was the point I was trying to make, and that was the question. 

psych_mom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I get exactly what you are saying. Unfortunately a lot of HOAs are actually being set up by companies instead of individuals now. One neighborhood that we lived in actually required that you not only weed eat the edge of your yard, but go back over it with an edger so that the edge of the grass was 1/2" to 1 inch from the side walk and driveways and the president enforces it religiously, lol. It is just crazy some of the restrictions they have now. They even regulate front door colors a lot of times and if it isn't one of three or four colors they don't go for it. I think they have just let the power go to their heads instead of realizing that people can have nice houses and be individuals instead of having to be so restrictive. And I know that it is different in different places but that is how most are here.

Quoting dingysfamily:

I think I'll not answer another question like this again!!  No one seemed to understand the point I was trying to make in the difference between a 'house' & a 'home'.  My first dh & I owned a townhouse once, the first place we owned actually, where they all virtually pretty much looked alike and we had an HOA.  Yeah, there were certain rules & regs, but for the most part, they were pretty good for the community.  Most HOAs are only as good as the people running them & unfortunately, so many people in the community don't want to be bothered when it comes to being on the board and involved; they only want to complain.  At any rate ... again, whether you have a cookie cutter house or not, and whether or not you can or can not paint the outside, YOU CAN PERSONALIZE it and make it a home.  That was the point I was trying to make, and that was the question. 

Vinterland
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I would plant some trees and have some gardens, a nice fence, if possible. I'd prefer living somewhere where I'd have the freedom to do that and some space between homes.

mommie2madison
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I think it's possible.  Suggestions - bold color front door, decorative mailbox, seasonal decor outside, window flower boxes, well-planned landscaping, lawn feature, uplighting.

Sisteract
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Of course you can.

I live in a HOA controlled, tightly spaced beach front community. Our house is so different because we have made it such. The board finally agreed not to give us flax as our home is the nicest looking one in the community.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN