Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Tough Times..christmas ideas.

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM
  • 27 Replies

This time of year I read many posts of moms stating they have nothing for Christmas(as far as gifts for kids).I'm a firm believe that if you have a roof over your head, warm and have something to eat it's a good Christmas.(gifts don't make or break Christmas).  I was wondering if any of you have ever had a tough Christmas(financially) and couldn't get gifts.

What did you do? Did you make gifts,? Do something other than gifts?

**this is not a bash post nor am I trying to get all in your business..I guess, I am trying to make a resource spot where mom can get ideas of what they can do on limited funds. 

by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM
We have years where the kids get less, but we have always been able to scrap together a little to buy them something so they have stuff to open.
HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Weve had a christmas or two where gifts were $5 or less and nothing for the adults
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I'm actually not sure we will be having a christmas this year.. we have to move before christmas and we aren't real sure if we will even have anywhere to go :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM

We've had some pretty tough Christmases..  and a couple of times if it hadn't been for family members, our daughter might not have had a Christmas.  You just have to make due..  :\

Kaci
by Kaci on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I had one like this years ago. Family stepped in for the oldest 2. The youngest was a month old.

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

We've had some pretty tough Christmases..  and a couple of times if it hadn't been for family members, our daughter might not have had a Christmas.  You just have to make due..  :\

Kaci
by Kaci on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
(((Hugs)))

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

I'm actually not sure we will be having a christmas this year.. we have to move before christmas and we aren't real sure if we will even have anywhere to go :/
Shari55
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM

We have had many tough Christmas's over the years, especially over the last 12 years. 

When the girls were younger, they each got one gift from us(mom and dad) and the others were from grandparents, which my mom put most of them from Santa. When they were older and understood that money was tight, there were no gifts other than from grandparents. Now that they are older, have one gift that covers, Christmas, Birthday and everything else that could come up.

We don't send gifts to relatives, and since my grandchildren's father doesn't accept anything from me(he has custody of them), I don't send them anything.

Okay now to happier things, I have made bread, blankets and other things to give to friends.

My Second career, Babysitter/Nanny/Teacher..self employed at last

Shari

psych_mom
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM

We have had it rough before- like poor rough because I had to have emergency surgery and Mat made a lot less at that point. Due to medical issues I had to stop working. We used Toys for Tots, and they really are great.

psych_mom
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Oh no Sam! I am so sorry to hear this. I wish you would have told us this before. Hugs and prayers that something works out for you.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

mmtosam06
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I am trying (keyword TRYING) to teach my DD that Christmas is about being with family and friends. I want her to know it's not about gifts but being together and just relax. I'm not big on buying tons of gifts. I read an article about 3 gift limit and it was a very good read.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)