Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Need help from a computer person regarding a Mac

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 15 Replies
I just inherited my dad's MacBook Air. My mom removed everything she wanted from it. The issue is that my dad assigned himself as the admin and then password protected himself as Admin. I don't know the password and can't figure it out. (He worked for decades in high tech defense so he often used passwords that were completely random, like 2&ty7/6, so it's something I'll probably never decipher. I'd like to wipe the contacts free and replace his Apple ID with mine. Is there any way I can do this? The only thing I need to keep is MS Office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Dh said that he can't think of one off the top of his head and I think brother-in-law that also works in IT is already in Costa Rica.

psych_mom
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

He said to google it and if it can be done you will find it on Google.

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM

My husband knows a lot about Apple..  I'll ask him when he gets home from work.

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM

He said if he had it in front of him he could have it fixed in 5 minutes..  a lot of help huh?  LOL

He recommended reloading if you can.  If not, I have no clue.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Thanks for asking him.

Quoting psych_mom:

He said to google it and if it can be done you will find it on Google.

Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Hey, least that makes me hopeful. Maybe I'll take it to work and see if one of the iT guys can help me out.

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

He said if he had it in front of him he could have it fixed in 5 minutes..  a lot of help huh?  LOL

He recommended reloading if you can.  If not, I have no clue.

MamaSarah1104
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I was going to suggest replacing the hard drive and reloading everything. It's not too hard and you don't need to be too tech savvy. Plus then you can upgrade the OS :-) but you'd have to purchase a hard drive, OS and office so I'm not sure my method would be worth it to you lol
Linds2Horse
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Thank you for the suggestion but it's fairly new. The system isn't more than 18 months old but it's been sitting unused in a drawer for a year

Quoting MamaSarah1104:

I was going to suggest replacing the hard drive and reloading everything. It's not too hard and you don't need to be too tech savvy. Plus then you can upgrade the OS :-) but you'd have to purchase a hard drive, OS and office so I'm not sure my method would be worth it to you lol

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Hope you can find someone to help ;)

MamaSarah1104
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Not that it really matters, but a new OS was just released a month ago. I think my Mac is just using snow leopard or lion so obviously I don't upgrade each time a new OS is released, but my hubby has the newest on his I'm sure. I also replaced the hard drive on mine when it was only about a year old (I also dropped it #klutz) and then like once a year since haha. Anyway my point is that technologically speaking 18 months old is kind of behind the times.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Thank you for the suggestion but it's fairly new. The system isn't more than 18 months old but it's been sitting unused in a drawer for a year

Quoting MamaSarah1104:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)