Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Expiration dates

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have some graham cracker crumbs that have not ever been opened but the expiration date on them is January 20th 2012. Would you use them? Do you go by the expiration dates or not?
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
On some things yes. The expiration date is more for stores to have them sold by from what I have been told. Doesn't mean they are bad. Sometimes they start to loose their nutritional value but they are still good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I would not use them.... they will not taste right I am sure... 

Think of this have you ever had a  graham cracker like that and it was all soft and tasteless because it went bad? That will be same with your grahams in tiny pieces. The ingredients start to break down after a while. 

So things are good past the date but with crakers they are only good sometimes a like a month or so after. If these was from 2012 toss them! big smile mini

Kaci
by Kaci on Nov. 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I did toss them. I tasted them and they seemed okay but had a lemony smell. Thanks!

Quoting suziejax:

I would not use them.... they will not taste right I am sure... 

Think of this have you ever had a  graham cracker like that and it was all soft and tasteless because it went bad? That will be same with your grahams in tiny pieces. The ingredients start to break down after a while. 

So things are good past the date but with crakers they are only good sometimes a like a month or so after. If these was from 2012 toss them! big smile mini

jaytee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would toss them. My DH does not like to keep things after the expiration date!

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the item and how long after the expiration date it is. The graham cracker crust I wouldn't use just because it's been so long and they probably have lost their freshness.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Quoting inmybizz:

Depends on the item and how long after the expiration date it is. The graham cracker crust I wouldn't use just because it's been so long and they probably have lost their freshness.

gmadiane
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I might use somethings a little after expiration date but not too far after

psych_mom
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

It depends on what it is. Some dates are there because the stores have to pick a date and put it on an item.

Lil_Wolf
by New Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I go by the dates. I would rather have to buy more food than see a doctor. Food is cheaper. It's just not woth the risk to me.

BeautifulMomof1
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I go by the dates and toss everything that's pass the expiration date . .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)