Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

7 Creative Uses for Baking Soda at Home

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

baking soda

This is a guest post from Jason Harter.  Jason is driven by the engineer in him to find uses for everything, including baking soda. He also enjoys blogging and is a contributing writer for The Best Online Masters in Engineering Management

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a natural, versatile and very inexpensive item that no home should be without. Because of baking soda’s versatility, it has a multitude of uses in every room of the home, garage and garden. The little box of sodium bicarbonate powder can be used for whitening teeth and preventing gum disease, melting sidewalk ice and various household cleaning tasks. Here are 7 creative uses for baking soda that will have you rushing out to buy your own stockpile of the cheap and effective product.

Oral Health

* Baking soda has long been used as a natural toothpaste. The mild abrasiveness gently removes food debris, stains and tartar build-up from teeth and the cleaning action reaches beneath the gum line to help prevent gum disease.

* When mixed with water (1 teaspoon to ¼ cup of water) and gargled, baking soda removes odor-causing bacteria from the mouth to eliminate bad breath. The anti-septic properties of a baking soda gargle will also help to ease a sore throat.

Melting Sidewalk Ice

Wintertime ice make sidewalks and other outdoor walkways treacherous, but commercial de-icer products contain chemicals that can damage surrounding grass, shrubs and trees. Baking soda will melt the sidewalk ice and since it’s a natural product, it will not harm nearby landscape. Just sprinkle on ice or snow and watch it melt away.

Kitchen Cleaning

* An open box of baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb food odors is a traditional use for the natural powder. And when it’s time to replace the refrigerator box, use the old box to freshen the sink, drain and garbage disposal. Just pour the old baking soda down the drain, sprinkling some around the inside of the sink, let sink for 30 minutes, then rinse with cool water.  If the sink is stained, rub the powder in with a damp sponge before rinsing.

* Scour away stove grease and countertop stains without concern over ruining the finishes. Baking soda is a mild abrasive and won’t harm the finishes on kitchen appliances, stone or man-made countertops. Baked on or dried on food in cookware can be safely scrubbed away by sprinkling baking soda in the cookware and adding just enough water to make a paste, then scrubbing the debris away with a sponge.

Bathroom Uses

Just as baking soda will clean and deodorize all the hard surfaces in the kitchen, so it will in the bathroom also. But the natural sodium bicarbonate powder does more than clean surfaces in the bathroom, it has several personal grooming aids uses.

* One cup of baking soda added to a bathtub filled with warm water will soothe and smooth red, itchy winter skin or ease the pain of a summer sunburn.

* Get rid of dandruff by massaging ¼ cup of baking soda into dampened hair and scalp, let sit for five minutes, then shampoo hair as usual. The mild abrasion loosens and lifts dandruff from scalp and dries up some of the dandruff-causing oil.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Thanks for sharing,
Had no idea about it melting ice/snow :)

cafay
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Me either!

Quoting hugss:

Thanks for sharing,

hugss

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Now I need to buy some, LOL

Quoting cafay:

Me either!

Quoting hugss:

Thanks for sharing,

cafay
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM

In much larger quanities,too!

Quoting hugss:

Quoting cafay:

Me either!

Quoting hugss:

Thanks for sharing,

hugss

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Good point :)

Quoting cafay:

In much larger quanities,too!

Quoting hugss:

Quoting cafay:

Me either!

Quoting hugss:

Thanks for sharing,

inmybizz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I have used baking soda for everything but the melting sidewalk Ice. Next time we get ice I must try it..LOL!

HisSweetheart07
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Never knew about it melting ice!
suziejax
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Me either ! That surprised me!

Quoting HisSweetheart07: Never knew about it melting ice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN