Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

My cabinets need your help.

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

We live in an older home and I'm not sure if there was a leak or something before and rotted the wood or what but our cabinets stink. I can't even open the ones above the stove because they're awful. It's musky and gross. I have aired them out and that seems to help the not so bad ones but they still have an oder.  I don't want to put my dishes in there.

What can I do for it?

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cafay
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm,not sure about this one. .Have you tried leaving containers of baking soda in them? Or cleaning them with vinegar or borax? Those are really good green cleaning products that are good for odors as well as anti bacterial cleaners too. But in this case, I might resort to bleach even. Might take care of the mold if thats the problem. Just rinse 2 times before replacing your stuff back in them.Maybe paint them? Might just be enough to mask that smell. 

VinVanMom
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Try charcoal it works on nasty fridges put an open bag in and close the door
steelcage
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I have thought about the baking soda, haven't tried it yet though. I do'nt really want to clean them with anything since they are wood and I don't want to ruin them. We rent so we can't really paint :( 

Quoting cafay:

Hmmm,not sure about this one. .Have you tried leaving containers of baking soda in them? Or cleaning them with vinegar or borax? Those are really good green cleaning products that are good for odors as well as anti bacterial cleaners too. But in this case, I might resort to bleach even. Might take care of the mold if thats the problem. Just rinse 2 times before replacing your stuff back in them.Maybe paint them? Might just be enough to mask that smell. 

steelcage
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Hmm good idea, I will try that if the baking soda doesn't work. And if DH leaves his nasty gumbo in the fridge too long again ;) 

Quoting VinVanMom: Try charcoal it works on nasty fridges put an open bag in and close the door 

nowynd
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM

You may have to seal them with something.  I would not think that a latex paint would do the job, since it is water based.  Probably a "kitchen" paint designed for cabinets.  It is usually harder.  Talk with someone at a good paint store.

dalbax2
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Quoting steelcage:

I have thought about the baking soda, haven't tried it yet though. I do'nt really want to clean them with anything since they are wood and I don't want to ruin them. We rent so we can't really paint :( 

Quoting cafay:

I would paint the insides anyways. Just get a paint that is close to the original color.
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM
If the baking soda doesn't work I would talk to your landlord about the issues your having see what he will allow you to do to the cabinets or see if he has any ideas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinMarie
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I would try and paint them and then line the bottom so that it the "smell" seeps through it just goes into the liner.

steelcage
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 6:14 AM

We can't paint :(

Quoting RobinMarie:

I would try and paint them and then line the bottom so that it the "smell" seeps through it just goes into the liner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)