Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Moving in 2 months!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM
  • 14 Replies

My husband will be leaving at the beginning of next month for Tulsa Oklahoma, and my daughter and I will join him at the end of March.

This is going to be the first time I'm in a place of my own, and I'll be leaving my home state to do so.

We're thinking about an apartment or small home for a while so we can save up, build up our credit, and buy our own house.

I'm nervous about everything. My head is BURSTING with ideas when it comes to decorating and organziation (damn you Pinterest!).

I don't know exactly what to ask, except for some renter's tips, apartment living tips, fun things to do with a child in Tulsa, etc. My daughter is two, will be three this year.

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Get a bottom floor apartment if at all possible! Kids and upper floor apartments don't mix..imo we live on the third floor with 4 kids and I absolutly HATE it. Lugging them all up the stairs and then constantly telling them to stop running or stomping..is very stressful and makes me feel bad for the old lady that lives below us :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

LOL - Pinterest is awful, isn't it?  

I don't like in OK, so no advice there.

As far as tips for apartment living.... I like what the previous responder said about getting a ground floor apartment, but you might look into a town home or duplex to rent as well, or even a small house.

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I'd prefer a townhouse if possible; it's more like a single family than an apartment.  But whatever you get, the thing is ... treat it as if it were your own and take very good care of it.

psych_mom
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Try to get a small house or something that doesn't require you living on top of someone or someone living on top of you. Most places you rent won't let you paint and some may not let you put nails in the wall, but Command Hooks can hold all kinds of stuff on the wall. Also, since you are renting, don't buy a ton of new furniture because what you buy for the place you are renting may not work for the place you end up buying. Try to find a local church group if you go to church, maybe a MOPS group, that way you can meet other moms.

LadyVoldemort
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Thank you

Quoting psych_mom:

Try to get a small house or something that doesn't require you living on top of someone or someone living on top of you. Most places you rent won't let you paint and some may not let you put nails in the wall, but Command Hooks can hold all kinds of stuff on the wall. Also, since you are renting, don't buy a ton of new furniture because what you buy for the place you are renting may not work for the place you end up buying. Try to find a local church group if you go to church, maybe a MOPS group, that way you can meet other moms.

nowynd
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Do research on the areas.  Crime statistics are usually available also the sex offenders list...especially for children. 

You will have to get permission to do anything to your place.  Some landlords will some won't let you paint.

Make a pocket folder for all your rent stuff/papers.  That way it's in one place. 

Look at the schools in the areas you are considering.

We wish we were closer to dh's work.  Less commute.

Location of your apartment in a complex can be a challenge.  Ask the landlord or company, who else is there.  Ours did really good on matching us.  We are in a duplex.  The inside apartments stay warmer as well as the upper ones.  But if you have an older person below you, your apartment might be hot all of the time (good and bad)!

LadyVoldemort
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM

oh YAY. lol

the one I'm looking at seems to be okay.My daughter is two so by the time she's in school we should have our own home (fingers crossed).

This is some really great advice, I'm thinking about getting some decals or something instead of painting.

Quoting nowynd:

Do research on the areas.  Crime statistics are usually available also the sex offenders list...especially for children. 

You will have to get permission to do anything to your place.  Some landlords will some won't let you paint.

Make a pocket folder for all your rent stuff/papers.  That way it's in one place. 

Location of your apartment in a complex can be a challenge.  Ask the landlord or company, who else is there.  Ours did really good on matching us.  We are in a duplex.  The inside apartments stay warmer as well as the upper ones.  But if you have an older person below you, your apartment might be hot all of the time (good and bad)!

nowynd
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I have some that stick on the wall, but mostly by static.  I have had those wall hangers, Command Damage Free take some dry wall with them on the way off of the wall!  lol  I would rather fill in a nail hole than dry wall paper.

Quoting LadyVoldemort:

oh YAY. lol

the one I'm looking at seems to be okay.My daughter is two so by the time she's in school we should have our own home (fingers crossed).

This is some really great advice, I'm thinking about getting some decals or something instead of painting.

Quoting nowynd:

Senile-felines
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Take good care of it and respect it as if it was your own!
Noni2319
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:43 AM
If you're renting, mist places if they allow you to put nails in the wall, the will require to repair them when you leave.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)