Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you know what your deductible is?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

Do you know off the top of your head what your deductibles are for your car and homeowners insurance?  Have you ever had to file a claim?

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jillysmom
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:19 PM
yes my car insurance deductibles $500. I only had to use it for glass and I have no deductible on that
rocamom
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM

500 for Car and 1000 for Homeowners.

dingysfamily
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I think it's $500; I know it is for the cars & I think it is also for the homeowners ... but I won't swear to it.  Forgot to answer about the claims.  Never made a claim on the homeowners and the only claim on the car has been several years ago for a small accident.  Dd though did have to file a claim on the auto for her car (her car is on our policy).  She went to stop at a light right after a nasty snow & her car hit black ice & kept right on sliding, right through the light & into a car turning.  Her car was totalled, the other car no damage.  She had a 2008 Chevy Cobalt (little sports model) and the other car was a big SUV.  She was also hurt; her left foot/ankle was broken & she had to have surgery.  She didn't have any medical insurance at the time (before the law about parents being able to keep kids on theirs until age 26); she was just under the hourly limit at her job to qualify for insurance.  Anyway, our auto insurance completely paid off her car (this was in 12/10) and she still had enough money left from the pay-off to make a good down payment on a new 2011 ... she bought a Malibu this time (insurance was cheaper since it was considered a 'family' car, and the car cost less so her payments were less - just back to a longer length of time, and a sturdier vehicle ... which her dad & I were happy about.  She was also covered for part of her medical expenses; unfortunately not enough.  She still ended up with some hefty hospital/doctor bills.  We are really proud of her though, she got a forbearance on a student loan & went to work on paying of those bills since they wouldn't wait!!  Now she's back to working on the student loans.  We are very happy with our insurance!!

campingmomof4
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My car is $500 and my home owners is $1,000
offrdngal
by Terri on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Our car insurance deductible is $250.00
We don't own a home.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Wow!  I'm glad she wasn't hurt worse!

Quoting dingysfamily:

I think it's $500; I know it is for the cars & I think it is also for the homeowners ... but I won't swear to it.  Forgot to answer about the claims.  Never made a claim on the homeowners and the only claim on the car has been several years ago for a small accident.  Dd though did have to file a claim on the auto for her car (her car is on our policy).  She went to stop at a light right after a nasty snow & her car hit black ice & kept right on sliding, right through the light & into a car turning.  Her car was totalled, the other car no damage.  She had a 2008 Chevy Cobalt (little sports model) and the other car was a big SUV.  She was also hurt; her left foot/ankle was broken & she had to have surgery.  She didn't have any medical insurance at the time (before the law about parents being able to keep kids on theirs until age 26); she was just under the hourly limit at her job to qualify for insurance.  Anyway, our auto insurance completely paid off her car (this was in 12/10) and she still had enough money left from the pay-off to make a good down payment on a new 2011 ... she bought a Malibu this time (insurance was cheaper since it was considered a 'family' car, and the car cost less so her payments were less - just back to a longer length of time, and a sturdier vehicle ... which her dad & I were happy about.  She was also covered for part of her medical expenses; unfortunately not enough.  She still ended up with some hefty hospital/doctor bills.  We are really proud of her though, she got a forbearance on a student loan & went to work on paying of those bills since they wouldn't wait!!  Now she's back to working on the student loans.  We are very happy with our insurance!!

boys2men2soon
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Our auto insurance deductible is $500.   Homeowners is $1000.        We have filed one claim against our homeowners insurance, which was 20 years ago.   We had our carpets professionally cleaned, and the dumbass ruined our 3 year old carpet.   He mixed his solution wrong and there were pukey, yellow-greenish stains in every room... on our steel blue carpet.    Turned out, he was not licensed or bonded as he advertised.    We had a $500 deductible at that time, which was far cheaper than paying out of pocket for all new carpet.   

tsdaughe
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Auto is $500 and home is $1,000. I have filed 2 homeowners claims and 3 car insurance claims. 2 of the car insurance claims where in less then a year. First one, someone pulled out in front of me and I hit him. Second one a drunk driver hit our car in the parking park of a bar.
psych_mom
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Auto is $500 and we won't have homeowners until we close on the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

$500 auto deductible. Not sure how much the house deductible is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)