Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Share your thoughts on my living room makeover

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:37 AM
  • 18 Replies

Before

After

Still looking for the right curtains. So, I'm curious what do you think?

Twilight girl

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michelle623
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Looks good! :)

purplemom3777
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Thank you!

Quoting michelle623:

Looks good! :)

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I hate that shade of salmon pink LOL I really like the teal though and probably would have painted the whole room that instead of doing a two tone. It was so pretty and comfortable looking.

Your couch set is HUGE for that room... LOL But since you don't have much else in there, it works.

I also notice the deer, and other stuff in there that are not to my tastes, but as long as YOU like it, that's what matters. ;)

dingysfamily
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM

The room looks a whole lot brighter and really nice.  Like kajira I'm not a fan of the salmon pink, but I also like the teal; however I wouldn't have painted my living room that color either ... I think it would have just been too hard to match accessories to, never mind my dh wouldn't go for it!  I'd have probably gone for maybe a blue, which is probably what I'll have dh paint when we repaint next fall ... dh was supposed to do that this spring, but it's being put off because we're going on a trip. I like the shape of the couch and really the color isn't all that bad in my opinion (although it wouldn't necessarilary be my first choice), but not sure about the fabric since I can't really tell what it is.  I'm not too fond of the mantle, I don't really like the white and I feel it's a bit high ... but I love the brick fireplace.  Also not a fan of the deer head, but then I have a cousin who has them in her living room too; and that glass table with the gold legs, not my style at all and just don't seem to go with the rest of the furniture.  My feeling though ... whatever make you & your family comfortable and happy, that's how you should do your home, you're the one that lives there!  Dh & I do our home the way we like, so I figure everyone else should too .... but I do like to know other's thoughts, sometimes it helps if I'm trying to decide something.

purplemom3777
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM
The couch is really big, but comfy. The room was dark for so long, that I needed a bright color. I thought about doing the whole room one color, but I wanted an accent wall. Deer head not my taste, its hubbys. He & our boys hunt. I do, I really love it. We rented for 6 years before we bought this house & I couldn't paint, so when we bought this I painted every room. I think it flows good though. The kitchen & dining room are a spiced cider & beige color. I mostly like warm, earthy tones, but I didn't want to use a brown in the living room after having to look at the brown paneling for two years ugh!

Quoting kajira:

I hate that shade of salmon pink LOL I really like the teal though and probably would have painted the whole room that instead of doing a two tone. It was so pretty and comfortable looking.

Your couch set is HUGE for that room... LOL But since you don't have much else in there, it works.

I also notice the deer, and other stuff in there that are not to my tastes, but as long as YOU like it, that's what matters. ;)

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I understand, although, my whole house is that puke-salmon pink color, I hate those warm earth tones, they just... i dunno... I prefer cooler tones.

I plan on doing a dark blue in my entry way, with white door frames and a dark blue living room, it has a white brick fireplace, which will off set it nicely.

I haven't quite decided the kithcne, dining and play room color(s) yet. I was thinking a darker gray for the kitchen and maybe green for the dining room.

I'm staining the concrete in the entry way, living room and dining room.... so it should be a nice, pretty marbled floor when we get done, which would go with a darker color - the walls in our house though have vaulted cielings in the entry way, and are white most of the way up, but are this salmon pink color until the top of the door frames, so I figured I could do a nice dark blue in there and shine up the wood banister for the stairs and shine up the stairs.

I haven't decied on furniture yet... but i'm definitely not going to allow dead animal heads in my house.... It makes me so I can't eat meat. if my body didn't crave meat, i'd probably be a vegetarian. LOL

I've butchered and ate some of our boy goats before, but I couldn't be there for the process of it, and I know if we had their heads mounted, there's no way I'd have been able to "eat" it... kwim? LOL

Quoting purplemom3777: The couch is really big, but comfy. The room was dark for so long, that I needed a bright color. I thought about doing the whole room one color, but I wanted an accent wall. Deer head not my taste, its hubbys. He & our boys hunt. I do, I really love it. We rented for 6 years before we bought this house & I couldn't paint, so when we bought this I painted every room. I think it flows good though. The kitchen & dining room are a spiced cider & beige color. I mostly like warm, earthy tones, but I didn't want to use a brown in the living room after having to look at the brown paneling for two years ugh!

Quoting kajira:

purplemom3777
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Deer head is hubbys, not my thing either, but he let's me pretty much do what I want when I decorate, so its a compromise lol. The end table was my grandmothers & I just really hate not to keep it, its been in the family so long, plus I love the glass top. I originally picked a lighter color couch, but I have three boys & 2 dogs so it wasn't practical. The darker color will have to do for now. The fabric is the softest fabric I've ever felt on a sofa, it is so comfy. I finally like my living room, I hated that wood paneling so much.

Quoting dingysfamily:

The room looks a whole lot brighter and really nice.  Like kajira I'm not a fan of the salmon pink, but I also like the teal; however I wouldn't have painted my living room that color either ... I think it would have just been too hard to match accessories to, never mind my dh wouldn't go for it!  I'd have probably gone for maybe a blue, which is probably what I'll have dh paint when we repaint next fall ... dh was supposed to do that this spring, but it's being put off because we're going on a trip. I like the shape of the couch and really the color isn't all that bad in my opinion (although it wouldn't necessarilary be my first choice), but not sure about the fabric since I can't really tell what it is.  I'm not too fond of the mantle, I don't really like the white and I feel it's a bit high ... but I love the brick fireplace.  Also not a fan of the deer head, but then I have a cousin who has them in her living room too; and that glass table with the gold legs, not my style at all and just don't seem to go with the rest of the furniture.  My feeling though ... whatever make you & your family comfortable and happy, that's how you should do your home, you're the one that lives there!  Dh & I do our home the way we like, so I figure everyone else should too .... but I do like to know other's thoughts, sometimes it helps if I'm trying to decide something.

purplemom3777
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
That sounds like it will look nice, yeah the deer head creeped me out at first, but after 18 yrs of being with a die hard deer hunter, I've gotten use to it lol. However, I do have a limit on how many heads. My oldest son has one of his mounted too, but it's in his room.

Quoting kajira:

I understand, although, my whole house is that puke-salmon pink color, I hate those warm earth tones, they just... i dunno... I prefer cooler tones.

I plan on doing a dark blue in my entry way, with white door frames and a dark blue living room, it has a white brick fireplace, which will off set it nicely.

I haven't quite decided the kithcne, dining and play room color(s) yet. I was thinking a darker gray for the kitchen and maybe green for the dining room.

I'm staining the concrete in the entry way, living room and dining room.... so it should be a nice, pretty marbled floor when we get done, which would go with a darker color - the walls in our house though have vaulted cielings in the entry way, and are white most of the way up, but are this salmon pink color until the top of the door frames, so I figured I could do a nice dark blue in there and shine up the wood banister for the stairs and shine up the stairs.

I haven't decied on furniture yet... but i'm definitely not going to allow dead animal heads in my house.... It makes me so I can't eat meat. if my body didn't crave meat, i'd probably be a vegetarian. LOL

I've butchered and ate some of our boy goats before, but I couldn't be there for the process of it, and I know if we had their heads mounted, there's no way I'd have been able to "eat" it... kwim? LOL

Quoting purplemom3777: The couch is really big, but comfy. The room was dark for so long, that I needed a bright color. I thought about doing the whole room one color, but I wanted an accent wall. Deer head not my taste, its hubbys. He & our boys hunt. I do, I really love it. We rented for 6 years before we bought this house & I couldn't paint, so when we bought this I painted every room. I think it flows good though. The kitchen & dining room are a spiced cider & beige color. I mostly like warm, earthy tones, but I didn't want to use a brown in the living room after having to look at the brown paneling for two years ugh!

Quoting kajira:

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM

this was before they painted the walls pink in this house : 

Those walls are a beige tone, but I don't like it and were doing such a nice floor that I just want a slightly brighter color make the room feel more inviting. This is sort of a... poop colored wall. 

The real estate lady says it's more salmon pink in person though... 

So, I think a darker blue would work in here, as you can see, plenty of white to off set it, and with white molding and white door frames, there's plenty of light for the entry way.

This is the living room and it's two tone now... So with better lightening, nice floors, I think a blue would work well in here. They did mood lighting for the pictures to hide the lack of flooring. LOL

This is the downstairs area off the kitchen, that I Was thinking of painting a Gray for the kids room, it will hide the dust, and dirt and crayon marks better... LOL

the kitche, I am going to paint the cabinets a nice shiney black and clean them up, redo the nasty counter tops and back splash, so I think the gray would work in there too

Yeah, I don't really know how to describe this pink-beige color... but it just reminds me of vomit when I see it.
Quoting purplemom3777: That sounds like it will look nice, yeah the deer head creeped me out at first, but after 18 yrs of being with a die hard deer hunter, I've gotten use to it lol. However, I do have a limit on how many heads. My oldest son has one of his mounted too, but it's in his room.

Quoting kajira:

Quoting kajira:

purplemom3777
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like a nice house, roomy. Yeah, I think the blue would work fine in there. Our house actually had two living rooms, but we converted the larger living area into a master bedroom because it was the bigger room & that way our boys have their own bedroom. I didn't see the need for the two living rooms. The one we use as a living room has the fireplace, so that made more sense to me. The reason I don't mind such a small space in there, is because we just watch television or read & sit around in there. We also have a sunroom, so that is where the toys are .  My youngest is 8, the other two are 14 & 16, so they are either watching tv, or playing with their Iphones & video games in their rooms, so I don't have to worry about toys strewn all over the place because the youngest plays either in the sunroom or his room. We had hand me down furniture in the living room for so long, & I wanted something that was comfy & nice. Once we get a flat screen, I will probably mount it over the fireplace & that will free up some more space in there. I am going to do a tile backsplash in my kitchen as well & redo the counter tops with granite. We have to put down new carpet in the sunroom & fix a leaky roof. There are so many things to do, that I try to do a little at a time. One room at a time, I am slowly getting everything done. 

Quoting kajira:

this was before they painted the walls pink in this house : 

Those walls are a beige tone, but I don't like it and were doing such a nice floor that I just want a slightly brighter color make the room feel more inviting. This is sort of a... poop colored wall. 

The real estate lady says it's more salmon pink in person though... 

So, I think a darker blue would work in here, as you can see, plenty of white to off set it, and with white molding and white door frames, there's plenty of light for the entry way.

This is the living room and it's two tone now... So with better lightening, nice floors, I think a blue would work well in here. They did mood lighting for the pictures to hide the lack of flooring. LOL

This is the downstairs area off the kitchen, that I Was thinking of painting a Gray for the kids room, it will hide the dust, and dirt and crayon marks better... LOL

the kitche, I am going to paint the cabinets a nice shiney black and clean them up, redo the nasty counter tops and back splash, so I think the gray would work in there too

Yeah, I don't really know how to describe this pink-beige color... but it just reminds me of vomit when I see it.
Quoting purplemom3777: That sounds like it will look nice, yeah the deer head creeped me out at first, but after 18 yrs of being with a die hard deer hunter, I've gotten use to it lol. However, I do have a limit on how many heads. My oldest son has one of his mounted too, but it's in his room.

Quoting kajira:

Quoting kajira:

Twilight girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)