hero dogThis is why it pays to be a dog person. A 3-year-old mutt named Malaki, adopted from a local shelter by his owners, recently gave them back their lives in exchange for their simple act of kindness. While the couple slept, the usually silent dog began to whine and bark. When his owner got up to find the source of the commotion, he discovered that his entire living room was engulfed by flames.

Malaki ushered the man and his wife to safety, but he didn't stop there. He tried to go back inside the burning house to save two puppies who sadly did not make it out of the blazing building in time. While their loss is tragic, the good deed Malaki did cannot be overlooked. It goes to show you that when it comes to your dogs, a little love and affection go a long way and could in fact save your life.

I feel like dogs are perpetually saving people from cars and fires and what have you. I love dogs, but I own cats. Felines will save you from officially nothing. Unless you count saving you from getting a full night's sleep because they have decided to perch themselves on your butt at 3 a.m. to sing the song of their people as loudly as they can manage until you get up and either sequester them in the bathroom or bribe them into silence with food.

True story, I once tripped on the carpet in my bedroom and fell over, knocking the wind out of my lungs (because secretly I am 85 and should buy a Life Alert). A dog would have scuttled over to sniff me and see what was up. My cat literally walked over my body, paused to throw up next to me, and then went off to take a particularly fragrant dump. Cats are jerks. They can't help it. But hey, at least they are cute.

Are you a cat person or a dog person?