Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Kitchen Islands: Endless Options

By HoosierHomemade on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:00 AM

While not every kitchen can accommodate an island, those that do, have the opportunity to make it the centerpiece of the design. A Kitchen Island not only provides you with much needed storage area, and a spot to prep your food, it's often a spot to gather and enjoy dinner or dessert. Whether it's used for food preparation or as an extra dining area there are endless possibilities.

There are so many options available to the homeowner when choosing a Kitchen Island. Perhaps a built in island complete with a stovetop is what you need, or maybe a free standing island anyone handy with a hammer can build themselves, with or without a space to store extra pans or cookbooks, and what about a space to sit and eat. 

A couple years ago, my husband built our free standing Kitchen Island. The construction is a simple frame, then he designed and added Daltile to the top with the help of the experts at The Home Depot. He designed the top so he didn't need to cut the tile. It was so nice to be able to design and build an Island that would fit our Kitchen perfectly and allow for traffic flow.

I would have never thought by just adding the Island, how much use we would get out of it. Just the other night we had out of town guests stop by for dessert, where did we end up gathering around - you guessed it - the Kitchen Island. It has been a great spot to work, cool trays of cookies, and it's perfect when we are hosting parties, we just set the food out and guests help themselves.

Even if you don't have room for a large Kitchen Island, you can build or buy a Kitchen Cart. There is a wide variety of options to fit every style of Kitchen.

Do you have a Kitchen Island? What do you find most helpful about it?

HoosierHomemade About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • goddess99
  • by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM
  • The house we're moving into has an island. I'm going to serve meals off it, especially when we have guests.

• Quote Reply
  • splatz
  • by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
  • I would love an island! I have this weird not-island that  comes out from the wall. Its too low to really be too useful. So its just mostly a junk catcher lol. 

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN