Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Fire Safety Plan? (& Why HOME DEPOT Is A Hero!)

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:27 AM
  • 6 Replies

Do you and your family have a fire safety & escape plan, not just one you talked about but have you practiced? Do you have  fire/smoke detectors and make sure they are working order?Even if you have done these things, one  thing you may not have tested and PLEASE DO... is unexpectedly when your family is asleep press test button on alarms to see if your family members hear them when sleeping and wake up.. I saw a documentary that many people sleep right thru them until it's too late and for some reason, children do even more so than adults. 

crying  4 months ago in March... a horrible tragedy happened to a young family including a young man that is an ex boyfriend of one our daughters and they remain friends to this day... He was at work in night and his 29 yr old fiance was sleeping in her room & his 2 yr old son & his fiance's 11 yr old son that Charles had been helping raise as his own for 5 yrs were sleeping in their room and Charles got call at work from his fiance's cellphone but she didn't say one word, all he could hear was fire alarms going off (fire chief believes Tiffany and  boys didnt hear the alarms until it was too late and she used her last breaths to dial charles but either went unconscious or died as soon as she dialed) Charles and his friends got to house even before firetrucks did and Charles broke in boys bedroom window and the room was engulfed in flames so he handed his unconscious burned boys out window to friends and then ambulances etc arrived and took them .. boys were coma for longer than a week and charles tried to get to tiffany but couldnt and actually even the  firefighters couldnt get to her. Charles ended up in ICU with boys and was unconscious for days...  In the end they all healed and are together again  (charles and the 2 boys all survived and are doing ok now) they had a new home to go home to because his boss donated a house to them but it needed a LOT of work 

It was on the  news that HOME DEPOT donated time, supplies etc needed to gut and remodel and prepare that house so that by the time Charles and the 2 boys got out of hospital they had a new lovely home to go home to and a fresh start.  Home Depot was absolutely a hero and so were all the many volunteers, many complete strangers who worked on it... this was so awesome of them and really touched our hearts and made us cry.  THANK YOU HOME DEPOT!!!! 

AND PLEASE ... if you don't have a fire safety plan and haven't tested to make sure your alarms not only work but are heard by your family members when they are asleep, please take the time to do so ASAP! 

You can see a short news clip and short video of this story and how HOME DEPOT helped them here if you'd like to..

http://www.abc12.com/story/24881385/volunteers-needed-to-help-ready-new-home-for-flint-township

View Full Size Image YVONNE

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
earthangel1967
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:48 AM

When our kids were still teens and we were living in our house that we raised the kids in, we lived on a short street that only had 7 houses on it, including ours... one night we were sleeping and in our very quiet, low crime tiny town the house was in... it sounded like lots of loud gun shots going off,  we jumped out of bed and looked out window and saw fire, all our kids heard the shots and woke up when Todd and I did and we didn't think it was REALLY gun shots,, didn't know what it was, but saw flames out windows.. so we opened our front door and ran onto our wrap around porch and my husband Todd  yelled out "OH MY GOD THE WHOLE WORLD IS ON FIRE!" that's what it seemed like! 3 of the 7 houses on our short little street (all houses were on same side of street - there were no houses on opposite side of street at all).... anyway 3 of them were on fire including our next door neighbors & 1 house -2 houses down was original one on fire and totally engulfed and the other ones were only partially on fire on each side of it, but HUGE gigantic embers were flying over and landing on our roof and even going over our roof and landing on our suv and cars in driveway and the lawn and a firefighter saw us and yelled. "GET OUT OF THAT HOUSE, HURRY GET OUT OF HERE HURRY NOW!!!" We'll try to save your house, but don't know if we can, hurry get out!"  We realized then that our power was out because a power line had been affected and we just grabbed our cat and cockatiel and us and our kids jumped into suv and we saw them putting a firefighter into an ambulance (never found out why but didn't hear of any deaths involved in this fire even though it was all over news so we are assuming he ended up being ok thankfully) and we drove off the street and parked in a parking lot a few blocks away downtown and waited. (one of our daughters ran outside ahead of us and snapped a few pictures which we didn't know she was doing and we found out later that was even worse than we'd have guessed because turns out the original house most on fire had bullets shooting off from inside of it going everywhere that is why the sound of gunshots woke us up because there was ammunition in that house, thank god she didn't get shot because she didn't realize that was happening at time - luckily no people in any of the fires or pets were killed)  We didn't know if we would come home to a house or not.... That was approx 1 am - ish and we weren't allowed back on our street until about 8am... We were VERY lucky that our house was saved and not damaged at all. 

This was the original house - 2 doors down from us during  fire and after it

In the pics above you can see the house 3 doors down from us on this main house's left that was partially on fire too. 

also closer up here is the one that was 3 doors down

This house below is far side of our next door  neighbors house right next to ours... Just one side of theirs burned...

and this was our house, safe! WHEW! 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

That breaks my heart to see her picture with her little boy. =(

That was really generous of Home Depot...nice to see that there are still really good people in the world.

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I know me too! I burst into tears randomly on and off for weeks after that and I only knew Charles I never met Tiffany, but it didn't matter... just beyond tragically sad! Charles shared that the firefighters were able to amazingly save the memory card or whatever it's called out of her phone (I'm surprised it wasn't destroyed!) and they gave it to Charles and he was able to post and share photos of Tiffany with the kids and him and even VIDEOS of Tiffany playing with the kids and her voice on it .. some that he had no even realized she had taken.  Priceless for him and their loved ones. She worked for Buffalo Wild Wings and so the one she worked at, as well as most or all of them in Michigan had a fundraiser day where a % of their profits went to help with medical bills and to help with needs for Charles and the kids too and they also were locations for drop offs of donations of clothes in the kids and Charles sizes and household needs etc that people wanted to donate and drop off and food and gift cards or whatever.. so they were heros in the sad story too. 

I just think it is SOOOO IMPORTANT that this poor young mom dying so young might help save the life of someone else who might have thought that they or their family members would certainly hear fire alarms when sleeping at night when in fact studies show that a shocking number of people do NOT.. so I try to get the word out to TEST all family members and have someone test you when you are sleeping too unexpectedly one day or night.. 

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

That breaks my heart to see her picture with her little boy. =(

That was really generous of Home Depot...nice to see that there are still really good people in the world.

Larsbug
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

no, but we should

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 5:49 AM

When we moved into our big two story house with our kids & teens some of the older ones were in the upstairs bedrooms.. we invested in a collapsible metal chain and metal step rungs fire escape ladder that attached quickly and easily onto windowsill that we had them keep under their bed and had them practice using it which they thought was a little scary but kind of fun and we knew if in a real fire they would already be extremely anxious so it was important they learned to get comfortable using it if needed while in a calm situaiton first.. 

Thankfullly we never needed to use it for real.  

Of course we told them to check their closed bedroom doors to see if they could get out down the stairs and out of the front door of house which was directly at bottom of stairs if possible first.. 

it's important for each person to have more than one way out because sometimes one way or more is impossible to get thru during fire... 

We had them practice some of the escape routes such as across room or floor or down the stairs to door with eyes closed too because people don't realize that the smoke can be so bad and it can be dark so you can't see hardly if at all... and it's good to time them with stopwatch.. (it can be fun to do the practices like a  game and race to try to beat previous time.) 

: D

cybcm
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 5:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely. We live in a high bushfire risk area, and we have had to evacuate before.
About a year ago our area built a nice underground shelter that can hold up to 2000 people, so that's nice to have.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)