Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Kids Driving

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM
  • 42 Replies

Are any of yours old enough to be driving?  Our 18 year old daughter is learning to drive (there have been some challenges getting her birth certificate, so she wasn't able to get a permit or license earlier), and I've had her out on the oilfield roads a couple of times.  Last night, my poor dog crawled on the floor in the backseat after the first ditch, and didn't come up till we got home! 

What are some tips or tricks that you have used with your children, friends' children, relatives, or that you remember from learning?

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopeful_leslie
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
The thing with me when i was learning is everyone was so uptight on how, when, where i should do things. Yes i realize they knew best but i had to feel comfortable with what i was doing and once i got them to just relax it was smooth sailing from there. Not saying at all that you were uptight, nervous yes im sure and she could feel that. I also learned on back roads which made it easier if i messed up here and there. Good Luck Mama
offrdngal
by Terri on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine is 16, but hasn't started driving yet.  He really hasn't shown much interest in it.

Larsbug
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

mine are 5 and 2 so we have a while... but I remember my mom NEVER freaked out, which put me at ease and not scared to drive. I also remember that the radio was not allowed on if I didn't find a cd or station that I wanted BEFORE we left. That's actually still stuck with me 12 years later and I notice myself not touching the radio or anything until I'm stopped at a light or before I leave.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

We are working on getting that learners permit.  

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Todd taught our 2 sons and 3 daughters and they all  took drivers training classes at the local high school even the homeschooled ones except youngest son - he took  classes in addition  to practicing with us at private business driving training school for all ages including adults. 

Elijah our youngest also practiced with his aunt a lot too because she had a lot more spare time on her hands to do so... I don't know the name of it, but she told me they found a free app they used to keep accurate track  of his miles he drove for practice since they had to have so much under their belt before they moved up another level in their training. 

When we practiced with them we MADE SURE even though it made US more anxious during those times... we knew it was super important that we insisted they drive in all conditions possible, heavy rain storms, bright sunlight glaring, in  the dark of night, heavy traffic, city driving, country driving, neighborhood driving, in our state we had them driving in snow and ice , we had them drive long distances like on road trips thru different states and unfamiliar areas for long periods of driving besides just the little local short trips to store or such. 

We did not allow them to drive with passengers besides responsible guiding adult to watch over them, no siblings were allowed as passengers for quite awhile and no friends passengers for quite some time... then after they earned our trust and a high enough level of driving we let them have one sibling as a passenger (older more mature one) then later on two and so forth and if they were still doing well with that then we let have one friend in  daytime only short close by location with that friend's parents permission then eventually more than one and eventually could have a friend at night ... so earned more freedom and prvileges that they EARNED over time bit by bit. 

They knew if they were to cause an accident or get a speeding ticket or traffic violation ticket their prvileges and freedoms and trusts would backslide a lot or a little according to severity of infraction. 

They did well. 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

That's all good information!  Thank you for sharing :).  I am actually leaving the radio off at this point, because I want her to concentrate on what's going on, and pay attention to everything, and because I need to do that myself, but that is a really good point.

Quoting Larsbug:

mine are 5 and 2 so we have a while... but I remember my mom NEVER freaked out, which put me at ease and not scared to drive. I also remember that the radio was not allowed on if I didn't find a cd or station that I wanted BEFORE we left. That's actually still stuck with me 12 years later and I notice myself not touching the radio or anything until I'm stopped at a light or before I leave.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Good luck!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

We are working on getting that learners permit.  

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I think that is really important.  In fact, I told her that I didn't mind if she went very slowly for now while she is getting used to the feel of the vehicle and how everything works.  I know that DH will want her to speed up when he gets her out there, but for now I think 20 is plenty down those oilfield roads. 

The only thing that I started to tense up about was when she would come to an intersection...she would say "Which way? Which way should I go?", and I told her to choose.  That was too much to lay on her, and she would end up not deciding in time and driving off the end of the road (thankfully no cliffs).  So, I had her stop, and I talked to her about watching ahead, seeing what was coming, and making her choice enough ahead of time that she had time to react.  Then I tried to relax :).

That's the benefit of driving around the oilfield at 7 on Saturday night...it's pretty empty!

Quoting hopeful_leslie: The thing with me when i was learning is everyone was so uptight on how, when, where i should do things. Yes i realize they knew best but i had to feel comfortable with what i was doing and once i got them to just relax it was smooth sailing from there. Not saying at all that you were uptight, nervous yes im sure and she could feel that. I also learned on back roads which made it easier if i messed up here and there. Good Luck Mama

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Yeah, she wasn't really interested then either.

Quoting offrdngal:

Mine is 16, but hasn't started driving yet.  He really hasn't shown much interest in it.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely agree that a variety of conditions and environments is important, once she gets used to the idea of driving.  It's not as if she will never see snow or rain or any other conditions.  We might move to a place where there is traffic, and she at the very least will have to drive to town sometimes!

I definitely think distractions should be kept to a minimum, including passengers of any kind (other than the adult), until they are ready for more.

Quoting earthangel1967:

Todd taught our 2 sons and 3 daughters and they all  took drivers training classes at the local high school even the homeschooled ones except youngest son - he took  classes in addition  to practicing with us at private business driving training school for all ages including adults. 

Elijah our youngest also practiced with his aunt a lot too because she had a lot more spare time on her hands to do so... I don't know the name of it, but she told me they found a free app they used to keep accurate track  of his miles he drove for practice since they had to have so much under their belt before they moved up another level in their training. 

When we practiced with them we MADE SURE even though it made US more anxious during those times... we knew it was super important that we insisted they drive in all conditions possible, heavy rain storms, bright sunlight glaring, in  the dark of night, heavy traffic, city driving, country driving, neighborhood driving, in our state we had them driving in snow and ice , we had them drive long distances like on road trips thru different states and unfamiliar areas for long periods of driving besides just the little local short trips to store or such. 

We did not allow them to drive with passengers besides responsible guiding adult to watch over them, no siblings were allowed as passengers for quite awhile and no friends passengers for quite some time... then after they earned our trust and a high enough level of driving we let them have one sibling as a passenger (older more mature one) then later on two and so forth and if they were still doing well with that then we let have one friend in  daytime only short close by location with that friend's parents permission then eventually more than one and eventually could have a friend at night ... so earned more freedom and prvileges that they EARNED over time bit by bit. 

They knew if they were to cause an accident or get a speeding ticket or traffic violation ticket their prvileges and freedoms and trusts would backslide a lot or a little according to severity of infraction. 

They did well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN