Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Food: Is there someone with different diet restriction in your house, that you have to work with?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM
  • 44 Replies

For the most part our family eats a mix of Western A Price Foundation and Paleo. More so now, then before my 3rd (who will be 2 in Aug) was born. She had a very upset belly, and I had to cut gluten (main source of trouble) diary and eggs from my diet (that was a rough Thanksgiving). Once we got her belly calmed down, I was able to add dairy and eggs back in. 

Our who family has gone gluten free, seeing as it has a negative affect on us all. It brings up ADHD symptoms in my 4 year old, over emotional symptoms in my 7 year old, it tears up my guts and makes me mean! Hubby definitely has bloating issues when he has had gluten too. 

Our way of eating makes it hard when we travle, and we all usually feel like crap when we get home. 

Do you have things you need to watch out for? 

DD1 May 2007*DS Feb 2010*DD2 Aug 2012*Surprise Oct/Nov 2014

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM

we do not thankfully but we have some friends that have 3 kids and their son has a genetic condition that makes him allergic to literally everything. He can't have eggs, gluten, wheat, sugar, etc. The only foods they have found that he can eat is plain baked chicken, rice pasta, grapes, and rice chex. He has a feeding tube surgically inserted into his stomach and has to have at least one feeding of medical food through it. He's 3 and my 2 year old is bigger than he is.

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Oh my goodness! It makes our 4 month screaming battle after #3 was born, looked like nothing.

Quoting Larsbug:

we do not thankfully but we have some friends that have 3 kids and their son has a genetic condition that makes him allergic to literally everything. He can't have eggs, gluten, wheat, sugar, etc. The only foods they have found that he can eat is plain baked chicken, rice pasta, grapes, and rice chex. He has a feeding tube surgically inserted into his stomach and has to have at least one feeding of medical food through it. He's 3 and my 2 year old is bigger than he is.

Larsbug
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

it's a genetic mutation that only affects the males... their nephew, B's cousin, has the same issue though not AS severe. It's weird. When she got pregnant again she prayed and prayed that it was a girl so they wouldn't have another who suffered the way he does, and sure enough she was a girl but I know they don't have it easy.

Quoting hillmom: Oh my goodness! It makes our 4 month screaming battle after #3 was born, looked like nothing.
Quoting Larsbug:

Vertical15
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM

My 6yo is sensitive to dairy.  He can have small amounts of cooked but large amounts give him a tummy ache.

SpiritedWitch
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM

My son was on a very restrictive diet b/c of his End-Stage Renal Disease ... low sodium, low to no potassium, no dark colas. 

My MIL was put on a low-sodium, low vitamin K (she was on wafarin) and low sugar (suspected diabetes). She also had a GI condition that limited what she could eat and what spices I could use. 

My SIL was on a heart-healthy diet to help control her A-fib. 

And I had to argue and fight with all three of them about staying within the guidelines. Sadly, all three are gone but I still follow some of the guidelines b/c it was just healthier. 

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM
How much has that changes your cooking?

Quoting Vertical15:

My 6yo is sensitive to dairy.  He can have small amounts of cooked but large amounts give him a tummy ache.

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry you have lost all of them.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

My son was on a very restrictive diet b/c of his End-Stage Renal Disease ... low sodium, low to no potassium, no dark colas. 

My MIL was put on a low-sodium, low vitamin K (she was on wafarin) and low sugar (suspected diabetes). She also had a GI condition that limited what she could eat and what spices I could use. 

And I had to argue and fight with all three of them about staying within the guidelines. Sadly, all three are gone but I still follow some of the guidelines b/c it was just healthier. 

SpiritedWitch
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.

Quoting hillmom: I'm sorry you have lost all of them.
Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Vertical15
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Not at all.  I like to use almond and coconut milks for cooking/drinking/baking.   The kids like them, too.  If I make a 'milkshake' we use almond or coconut milks for those. 

Quoting hillmom: How much has that changes your cooking?
Quoting Vertical15:

StreetsAhead
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Not allergy but my brother is dyspraxic which makes him very sensitive to textures so if he is with us you have to watch what textures you use
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN