Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Do you cook with your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

Dgd wanted to learn how to make potato soup. I don't normally use a recipe for this, but we figured out the approximate measurements. It was really good.

Potato Soup

4 strips bacon

1 small onion, diced

2 ribs celery, diced (also cut up celery leaves, setting aside for garnish)

2-3 potatoes, diced

2 cups chicken broth

2 cups heavy cream, half & half or milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese-set aside a little for garnish

Cook bacon in large pot until crisp. Remove and set aside on paper towels. Pour bacon fat into a container for another us, leaving about 2 tablespoons in pot. Saute onions and celery. Place diced potatoes in pot and cook while stirring another 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth, just enough to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until really tender and falling apart. Optional-(Use a hand held immersion blender or use potato masher to smooth out the mixture. I like it a bit smooth, but with some potato chunks left) Add heavy cream, half & half or milk, depending on how rich you like it.

Dice bacon-setting aside a little for garnish. Add cheese and bacon and continue cooking over low heat, just until cheese is melted. Serve garnished with bacon, shredded cheese and celery leaves.

Notes: you can use butter instead of bacon fat if you prefer. Ham is also good to use instead of bacon for flavor.

What have you made with your kids?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Replies (11-16):
klamomma2
by Kaila on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Usually they help with the sweets, my youngest who is 3 loves to help me stir stuff.  Everyonce in a while if I'm good on time I will let the older two come in and help me cook.  Some of their favorites are layering the lasagna, making brownies on their own, chopping ground chuck, cutting food with assistance.  

cybcm
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Ever since they were little, now the only one who cooks 'with' me is my 6yr old. All the older ones don't need me anymore, if anything the opposite has occurred, my oldest who is 20 is an apprentice pastry chef, she lets me cook with her sometimes, haha.
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

One of my dil's told me before they married, that she was going to learn to cook. I told her to only learn things that were fun, that my son loved to cook, so let him cook, I'm sure there are going to be lots of things that he won't want to do-even though he knows how. And that ended up doing laundry, which she doesn't mind doing, so it works out for them. Both my sons do most of the family cooking, and the dil's have learned to be good bakers-which my sons never really enjoyed, though they know how. 

Quoting earthangel1967:

goodyou rock That is awesome! Good job mom!!! I know parents all mean well but many just don't think about the lifeskills thing... they think they are being sweet moms by doing everything for everyone and they are basically except the kids don't learn as well as if they are taught to be as self sufficient as possible.  And even more commonly true with sons .. we felt our sons and daughters should all learn everything possible in terms of lifeskills and  it's not really something they teach in schools, well at least for the most part, a lot of parents just don't think of it or realize what a big deal it is or maybe if they work a lot of hours or something they might not have time even and do the best they can. All our 5 are single currently EXCEPT our 20 yr old daughter.... in addition to everything we taught her.. she was excited too because her serious long term live in boyfriend John is Cuban and his  sweet grandmother took the time to teach her how to cook many of his favorite Cuban recipes. : ) I bet your son's significant others really appreciate that their special guys know how to do that stuff you taught them even if they themselves did know how to do it because just think of how many ladies on here complain about their guys not being helpful ... teaching them lifeskills like you did helps ensure their good self care even if they were bachelors and is a gift to any significant other they would be with  too. : ) AND helps us as moms of adults have the peace of mind knowing our adult kids know how to take tlc of themselves without us being there. YAY Win/Win/Win right?! : ) 

Quoting SweetLuci:

I have two grown sons, and when their father & I were teaching them to cook, I told them it was so they would be able to impress a girlfriend with their talents. They both have thanked me, because neither of their wives knew how to cook or do laundry or balance a checkbook! And they were both college graduates! Just had never been taught. lol

Quoting earthangel1967:

I let our 3 daughters and 2 sons help me on and off ever since they were really little, we made countless things over the years and when they were in middle school I taught them all to plan a week's menu for the whole family and nutrition and to make a shopping list and budget and grocery shop and guess an approx on the check out bill and then to cook for a whole week for dinner time each kid got a week at a time... they all liked it except our youngest son who threw a hairy fit that I would make him learn to do all that as a young teen... he was furious that none of his friend's had to do those things.. I let him rant and rave and even yell while he was cooking hahaha but he still had to do it to earn all his many many privileges and freedoms that he also had more than most of his friends... and now that he is grown up 19 and on his own.. just like his siblings he can admit he is GLAD I made him learn to do al that stuff and other lifeskills and our kids are shocked at how many of their friends grew up and moved out and had to learn then on their own. 

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM

That's wonderful! Sounds like a win/win to me! : D

Quoting SweetLuci:

One of my dil's told me before they married, that she was going to learn to cook. I told her to only learn things that were fun, that my son loved to cook, so let him cook, I'm sure there are going to be lots of things that he won't want to do-even though he knows how. And that ended up doing laundry, which she doesn't mind doing, so it works out for them. Both my sons do most of the family cooking, and the dil's have learned to be good bakers-which my sons never really enjoyed, though they know how. 

Quoting earthangel1967:

goodyou rock That is awesome! Good job mom!!! I know parents all mean well but many just don't think about the lifeskills thing... they think they are being sweet moms by doing everything for everyone and they are basically except the kids don't learn as well as if they are taught to be as self sufficient as possible.  And even more commonly true with sons .. we felt our sons and daughters should all learn everything possible in terms of lifeskills and  it's not really something they teach in schools, well at least for the most part, a lot of parents just don't think of it or realize what a big deal it is or maybe if they work a lot of hours or something they might not have time even and do the best they can. All our 5 are single currently EXCEPT our 20 yr old daughter.... in addition to everything we taught her.. she was excited too because her serious long term live in boyfriend John is Cuban and his  sweet grandmother took the time to teach her how to cook many of his favorite Cuban recipes. : ) I bet your son's significant others really appreciate that their special guys know how to do that stuff you taught them even if they themselves did know how to do it because just think of how many ladies on here complain about their guys not being helpful ... teaching them lifeskills like you did helps ensure their good self care even if they were bachelors and is a gift to any significant other they would be with  too. : ) AND helps us as moms of adults have the peace of mind knowing our adult kids know how to take tlc of themselves without us being there. YAY Win/Win/Win right?! : ) 

Quoting SweetLuci:

I have two grown sons, and when their father & I were teaching them to cook, I told them it was so they would be able to impress a girlfriend with their talents. They both have thanked me, because neither of their wives knew how to cook or do laundry or balance a checkbook! And they were both college graduates! Just had never been taught. lol

Quoting earthangel1967:

I let our 3 daughters and 2 sons help me on and off ever since they were really little, we made countless things over the years and when they were in middle school I taught them all to plan a week's menu for the whole family and nutrition and to make a shopping list and budget and grocery shop and guess an approx on the check out bill and then to cook for a whole week for dinner time each kid got a week at a time... they all liked it except our youngest son who threw a hairy fit that I would make him learn to do all that as a young teen... he was furious that none of his friend's had to do those things.. I let him rant and rave and even yell while he was cooking hahaha but he still had to do it to earn all his many many privileges and freedoms that he also had more than most of his friends... and now that he is grown up 19 and on his own.. just like his siblings he can admit he is GLAD I made him learn to do al that stuff and other lifeskills and our kids are shocked at how many of their friends grew up and moved out and had to learn then on their own. 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

mo75
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM
I've just got to say how wonderful it is to read about other parents who are teaching or have taught their children necessary life skills!
I was told by a neighbor that they were going to report me to Dcf because they saw my teenaged daughter cutting the grass this morning. I was told by this woman that was a mans job & she should be inside. I tried to politely explain that with 5 teenagers they all had chores that rotate weekly & that they are grateful because they have come to realize that I'm not going to college with them & unlike most of their peers, they will know who to budget, menu plan, grocery shop & take care of their future homes. They know that once their chores are finished if they want friends over they are welcome (this summer I ended up with 12 kids at the table for dinner one night!). I laughed because on the chore rotation this week my boys (ages 18, 15, 14) had laundry, kitchen, and floors while my girls (ages 13 & 17) had yard & trash! All chores rotate weekly.
Whereismymind
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:55 AM
No, they aren't really interested in helping yet. I have asked :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)