Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Make Your Own Ice Cream Cake in 6 Easy, Delicious Steps!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

Make Your Own Ice Cream Cake in 6 Easy, Delicious Steps!

by Liz Alterman

ice cream cake with crushed chocolate wafers

Whether you're celebrating a birthday or simply looking for a show-stopping summertime dessert, ice cream cake is always a crowd-pleaser.

Not only is this cool and creamy homemade confection a hit with all ages, it costs approximately a third of what a store-bought cake will set you back, and it can be prepared in 10 minutes or less.  

Another bonus: Since you're the chef, feel free to mix and match your favorite flavors and toppings. Then sit back and enjoy the rave reviews!

Note: The most challenging thing about this recipe is not going back for seconds (or thirds!).

diy ice cream cake

Here's what you'll need:

A springform pan

Chocolate wafer cookies

1/4 stick of melted, unsalted butter

2 half-gallons of your favorite ice cream flavors

8 oz. whipped topping

Your choice of toppings

Start by placing a springform pan on wax paper to minimize drippings and allow two of your favorite ice cream flavors to soften until they're not quite melted but easily spreadable. And read on for the other steps to making this affordable, easy ice cream cake that's perfect for any party!

Do you make your own cakes for birthday and other parties, or do you always buy them from the store?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:14 PM

This sounds fabulous!

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I usually make them but sometimes get them from a bakery.

momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM

How delicious and easy!!

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:31 AM

I didn't make icecream cakes but I DID bake AND decorate every one of our 5 kids birthday cakes for each of their birthdays every single year in ANY theme THEY asked for (even if it was a made up one) I started with my 1st child's 1st birthday cake ( I self taught myself) and continued into their mid to late teens.. I also did a lot of them for holidays and just for fun for them. I had so much fun doing them but now my oldest daughter surpassed me by far when she (as a teen) used her own money from a job she had and paid her way thru Wilton Cake Decorating courses 1,2 and 3 and even made a practice BEAUTIFUL 3 tier wedding cake for her final class and donated it to a nursing home for the residents to enjoy.. so if we need a cake, now she does them. 

One of my favorite ones "I" did all by myself (remember I took no classes just self taught) was for my daughter (now 22 yr old!) kitty and puppy birthday party she asked for... I made a basket cake and I used 2 round dunkin donuts that I decorated into a puppy and kitty head and I used a dunkin donut hole I decorated for a yarn ball.) This is my favorite one I did out of all them. But they were all fun. : ) 

Another one of my favorites that I dont have a pic of on my laptop but do somewhere in our print photos in the closet is of my oldest son Jesse (now 27) his 5 yr old Monster truck cake.. his bio dad built a cake board of wood for me that had 4 big rolling real tires on it! so the board rolled around the table and I made the upper part of the truck (pickup truck style) and decorated it and on the windshield I put a tiny cut out laminated head of my 5 yr old son so it looked like he was driving the truck it was so cool. : ) 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:36 AM

happy birthdayicecream My oldest daughter.. after she paid her own way thru Wilton cake decorating courses 1, 2 and 3 got a job at Baskin Robbins decorating all their cakes (they are not as detailed and elaborate as she is capable and trained to do but she did a beautiful job on the style they sell and did a lot of custom special requests customers had.  Later she worked full time as Walmarts only cake decorator and did a beautiful job there too, did wedding cakes and everything.. but she eventually quit because they seriously needed more than one decorator and they didnt pay her enough to do all of them herself (all the ones in the fridges and shelves as well as all the custom orders AND her manager was a bitch and very mean and condescending and patronizing and she was tired of being mistreated so she quit and I am glad she did for that reason. 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Vertical15
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Sounds good.  We make our with yogurt and fruit and freeze it.  Healthy and yummy!  For birthdays my MIL and mom like to bake so we let them.  Except last year for my son's lego theme party.  I made fun cookies and cupcakes.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM

That's fantastic!  We do both, and unless there are budget constraints, we let the kids choose.  I've made Baked Alaska before.

Whereismymind
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Awesome! I want to try this!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN