Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Updating playroom to...

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

a teen hang out room? 

The kids and I are organizing/de-cluttering and remaking their playroom (mostly junk room) to a teen room. They hardly play with their toys anymore since they are ages 8 and 10. They love their tablets, wii, and kareoke machine. I will only decorate with what we have around the house tho. The kids also want a fooshball game table (small one) to go in the room as well. 

Have you transformed a room like this for your kids? I'd love to get ideas if you have pictures or just ideas on what we could do. 

We gave ourselves 3 weeks (till school starts to get it finished). We've made good progress in the 2 days we've done so far.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:02 AM

We didnt transform a room. 

But we have given over the bacement to DS who is 14 (we will never have a playroom I hate them) mainly because it was going spare and he always has friends over. 

There is a tv and the 2 game consoles down there. Ther is a cheap sofa bed from ikea as well as an old seat and a bean bag. A low table as well. There is also book/DVDs in a cabinet in one corner as well as shelving with games etc. He also has a mini fridge down there. 

Being a basement it has no windows, so the walls are painted cery very bright eluminating white.

In the other corner there is also a table tennis table.

Im trying to think of what else we did?

I made some cushions, there are posters on one wall and a material hanging on the other

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

We did our basement as a kid hang out/family room.

It has a book nook, a homework/creative area with 2 desks & a table, then on each end of the big room there is a TV - one with Xbox the other with PS2 & an air hockey table between them.

There's a couch, some chairs, stereo, drumset, & a large toy closet as well.

(Pardon the legos all over - he was looking for one particular piece, lol)
Larsbug
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I have and will need my playroom for a while yet

wandep
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM

That sounds nice!

Quoting StreetsAhead:

We didnt transform a room. 

But we have given over the bacement to DS who is 14 (we will never have a playroom I hate them) mainly because it was going spare and he always has friends over. 

There is a tv and the 2 game consoles down there. Ther is a cheap sofa bed from ikea as well as an old seat and a bean bag. A low table as well. There is also book/DVDs in a cabinet in one corner as well as shelving with games etc. He also has a mini fridge down there. 

Being a basement it has no windows, so the walls are painted cery very bright eluminating white.

In the other corner there is also a table tennis table.

Im trying to think of what else we did?

I made some cushions, there are posters on one wall and a material hanging on the other

wandep
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I wish hubby would let me move the wii set out there and a tv. Yours looks nice. :)

Quoting the3Rs:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

We did our basement as a kid hang out/family room. It has a book nook, a homework/creative area with 2 desks & a table, then on each end of the big room there is a TV - one with Xbox the other with PS2 & an air hockey table between them. There's a couch, some chairs, stereo, drumset, & a large toy closet as well. (Pardon the legos all over - he was looking for one particular piece, lol)

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Thanks! We're quite proud of it as just a few years ago it was an icky unfinished basement (pic above)

Big improvement! It's awesome now :)

Quoting wandep:

I wish hubby would let me move the wii set out there and a tv. Yours looks nice. :)

Quoting the3Rs:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

It has a book nook, a homework/creative area with 2 desks & a table, then on each end of the big room there is a TV - one with Xbox the other with PS2 & an air hockey table between them.

AmaliaD
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds doesn't use his toy room unless his friends want to play with his toys, then it's a huge mess. So I've been slowly cleaning out the stuff he doesn't notice, keeping the stuff he uses. He wants a 360 for his bday, so we are going to move our bedroom tv into his toy room, move a piano out, get bean bags or small chairs and make it a gaming room (with a Lego table that also houses an arsenal of Nerf guns). We'd also move the wii u up there, reclaiming the living room tv for ourselves when he and his friends want to play video games. I was seeing it like a hang out room. But it's only because I have a big master and 3 tiny bedrooms / 1 kid. Otherwise I couldn't justify a separate hang out room for kids.
Vertical15
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM

No my kids still play with their toys.  They aren't allowed too much time on their eletronics.  I could see doing that when they are older though.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Nice!

Quoting the3Rs:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

We did our basement as a kid hang out/family room. It has a book nook, a homework/creative area with 2 desks & a table, then on each end of the big room there is a TV - one with Xbox the other with PS2 & an air hockey table between them. There's a couch, some chairs, stereo, drumset, & a large toy closet as well. (Pardon the legos all over - he was looking for one particular piece, lol)

sstripedmonkey
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Where did you get that bench in the first picture?!

Quoting the3Rs:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN