Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Updating playroom to...

Posted by   + Show Post

a teen hang out room? 

The kids and I are organizing/de-cluttering and remaking their playroom (mostly junk room) to a teen room. They hardly play with their toys anymore since they are ages 8 and 10. They love their tablets, wii, and kareoke machine. I will only decorate with what we have around the house tho. The kids also want a fooshball game table (small one) to go in the room as well. 

Have you transformed a room like this for your kids? I'd love to get ideas if you have pictures or just ideas on what we could do. 

We gave ourselves 3 weeks (till school starts to get it finished). We've made good progress in the 2 days we've done so far.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Replies (11-13):
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM
It's actually part of the kitchen table set that I grew up with. That table, that bench & two matching chairs for the other side.

Quoting sstripedmonkey: Where did you get that bench in the first picture?!

Quoting the3Rs:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

We did our basement as a kid hang out/family room.

It has a book nook, a homework/creative area with 2 desks & a table, then on each end of the big room there is a TV - one with Xbox the other with PS2 & an air hockey table between them.

There's a couch, some chairs, stereo, drumset, & a large toy closet as well.

(Pardon the legos all over - he was looking for one particular piece, lol)
earthangel1967
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:00 AM

That's so great! How fun and exciting! We didn't have a playrooom or extra room to convert into a hang out room, we let each of our 5 teens decorate their rooms to be how they wanted them and that was their hang out rooms and we were the hang out house and had at least one to many other tweens/teens at our house pretty much daily or almost daily all year around and we really encouraged that.. : ) 

Our youngest son did NOT have a decorating style I liked (he didnt care about style too much to begin with) but his friends LOVED his room... one thing he did they loved was since him and his crowd often bmxed stunt bikes for countless hours during day and then had video gaming often times all night long.. we had got each of our kids a small bedroom cable tv for each of their rooms, but Elijah found several other tvs broken in people's trashes on curbsides one by one and FIXED them himself and added them to his room and had a huge collection of pretty much every video game system he collected for years all the way back to Atari to current popular game systems so him and his friends could have various systems hooked up to various tvs in his room and all  of them play at the same time. 

Our basement had some issues so we didn't use it for anything so when Elijah was a young teen he asked me if he could build a skateboarding half pipe in it for him and his friends to skateboard on when evver the weather was too bad to do so outside ... don't ask me how the hell they didn't split their skulls open on the ceiling I have no clue but no one ever did.. he buillt it all by himself and they loved it.. we only let his friends who's parents signed a safety waiver saying they understood I was NOT down there watching them and that if their kid got hurt I would call 911 and their parents and they would not hold us personally responsible .. most of the parents signed them (we made them sign to let their kids on our trampoline with tall safety net too).. only 1 or 2 wouldnt so we couldnt let those guys on the stuff.  Anyway him and his friends thought we were beyond cool to let them build a halfpipe in basement, but i had no clue it would be so thunderously LOUD (it was made of wood) so I told them they could use anytime up until 8pm when my tv shows came on otherwise I couldnt hear my shows in the living room they felt that was fair lol 

I hated how Elijah's room LOOKED but they thought it was fun though.. he also tacked black sheets to cover up his curtains and blinds to make his room darker for better gaming UGHHH lol  (the girls all made their rooms CUTE at least lol ) 

this is when he only had 2 tvs he ended up with about 4 or 5 later and also ended up later finding a HUGE ceiling to floor entertainment center he painted black and put in there and he still has it at his place he lives in now as a young adult on his own. He also still has a lot of tvs for massive gaming get togethers too lol He was also obsessed with having a lot of speakers and subwoofers (he got those some broken and fixed them too.)

Here is the halfpipe  he built in  basement all by himself.. you can see how low ceiling is, no clue how they didnt get cut heads or concussions but they didnt lol 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Chelsey191
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:25 AM
I'd do it! I'd put in a study area, a reading area and a entertainment area. I'd add a mini fridge and snack cupboard. Comfy chairs for reading, maybe hanging hammocks? Then a comfy sectional for the entertainment area. I'd put a desk or two for kids to have a study area with ergonomic chairs. I'd have it stocked with school supplies and art supplies. I'd decorate with some trendy artwork. Paint would be grey with a accent wall in a bright color. Some trendy lighting like a chandelier gothic type and a really good reading lamp.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN