Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Life Home Life

Could you live in Walmart?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM
  • 16 Replies

Boy Runs Away & Lives in Walmart for 4 Days Before Getting Caught

by Kiri Blakeley

A 14-year-old boy was found living inside of a Walmart. The boy, who was living inside a series of forts constructed behind boxes, and stealing food and drink and clothes, managed to go undetected for four days. And I totally have a feeling this will be made into a movie! The boy reportedly ran away from home at some point and decided to camp out in the local Walmart. And I mean, why not? It's got everything you could ever need. Pretty genius idea.

The teen built two campsites, one in the baby aisle, behind boxes of strollers, the other behind walls of paper towels. Being in the baby aisle came in handy, as he was apparently stealing diapers to wear so he didn't have to use the restroom and risk being noticed.

As for food, he merely took that off the shelves. Drink? He cut a hole in the wall behind the drink aisle and pilfered drinks there. He even reportedly stole a fish from the fish section to keep as a pet.

Sheesh, all he needed was a big screen TV.

But it was his trash that finally gave him away -- with employees beginning to notice strange piles of it around.

The boy had apparently run away from relatives and was returned to them. No word on whether the relatives had reported him missing or why he wanted so badly to get away from them.

As cute as this story is, there is something more going on here, and it's not good. While teens do tend to run away for silly reasons (I did it myself a few times), a teen who sets up camp for four days in a store is clearly desperate not to be home.

Yet Child Protective Services is reportedly not getting involved. Nor is Walmart pressing charges.

This teen could end up being a lifetime troublemaker -- or someone with a brilliant career ahead of him. After all, an adventure of this sort does take some smarts and derring-do.

Let's hope it turns out to be the latter.

Have you ever run away to somewhere interesting?

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Could .. probably; a super Walmart certainly has the basic things needed to live there.  But ............... I certainly would not WANT to live in one. There is a big difference between could you do something and would you do (or want to do) something.  

As to have I ever run away to somewhere interesting, that's easy; No.  Never really run away to anywhere really; unless you want to count taking some interesting vacations!

diaperstodating
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Yes I could, but I wouldn't want to like the previous poster said. This reminds me if that movie where the lady lives in Walmart.
I did runaway once as a teenager, but not to anywhere interesting.
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I probably could, but I don't even like shopping in Walmart!  lol

jewels.unicorn
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM

That's just crazy, genius and crazy, lol

I ran away to the top of my street when I was little, packed my teddy bear and a few important things in my suitcase and left. Wasn't old enough to turn the corner by myself (wasn't allowed off the street) so I barely turned the corner so I was just behind the fence of the neighbour there and I sat on the curb with my suitcase. I think I was 6 or 7 years old, we're talking fairly young.

Problem was, I didn't pack the important stuff - food. When I got hungry, it was dinner time (I'd camped out there for the entirety of an hour my mom said, lol) I ended up caving and went home for macaroni. :P

mcwebtex
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM

i slept in peoples doorways, closets, under someones bed lol when i was in my early teens... Never slept in a walmart though  :-)

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Only if they had plenty of alcholhol stocked!

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

Boy Runs Away & Lives in Walmart for 4 Days Before Getting Caught

by Kiri Blakeley

A 14-year-old boy was found living inside of a Walmart. The boy, who was living inside a series of forts constructed behind boxes, and stealing food and drink and clothes, managed to go undetected for four days. And I totally have a feeling this will be made into a movie! The boy reportedly ran away from home at some point and decided to camp out in the local Walmart. And I mean, why not? It's got everything you could ever need. Pretty genius idea.

The teen built two campsites, one in the baby aisle, behind boxes of strollers, the other behind walls of paper towels. Being in the baby aisle came in handy, as he was apparently stealing diapers to wear so he didn't have to use the restroom and risk being noticed.

As for food, he merely took that off the shelves. Drink? He cut a hole in the wall behind the drink aisle and pilfered drinks there. He even reportedly stole a fish from the fish section to keep as a pet.

Sheesh, all he needed was a big screen TV.

But it was his trash that finally gave him away -- with employees beginning to notice strange piles of it around.

The boy had apparently run away from relatives and was returned to them. No word on whether the relatives had reported him missing or why he wanted so badly to get away from them.

As cute as this story is, there is something more going on here, and it's not good. While teens do tend to run away for silly reasons (I did it myself a few times), a teen who sets up camp for four days in a store is clearly desperate not to be home.

Yet Child Protective Services is reportedly not getting involved. Nor is Walmart pressing charges.

This teen could end up being a lifetime troublemaker -- or someone with a brilliant career ahead of him. After all, an adventure of this sort does take some smarts and derring-do.

Let's hope it turns out to be the latter.

Have you ever run away to somewhere interesting?

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Lol my kids school is almost next door to wal mart. I couldn't do it
mrswillie
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Wow. That is crazy.
ShutUpImTalking
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I ran away once. I made it to a neighbor's house about a half mile down the road before being caught. I was fighting with my dad because he wouldn't let me leave the house. We were screaming and yelling at each other and I went into my bedroom for something and when I did he shut the door behind me and held it shut from the outside. I got pretty pissed about that. I climbed out my window and just took off on foot. I made it to the neighbor's house when I saw him coming down the road in his car. He didn't see me. I knocked on the neighbor lady's door and asked to use her phone and after she let me use it, she called the cops. My step father (who was the local sheriff at the time) pulled in the drive 5 minutes later, while I was waiting on my friend that I had called to come get me. He returned me to my dad. I was even more pissed then. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)