Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should you be allowed to smoke in a rented apartment?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:32 PM
  • 21 Replies

I heard on the radio yesterday that in this area there may be a law passed that prohibits people from smoking in multi-family dwellings, like apartments.

Which brings up the question:  Should you be prohibited from smoking in a rented apartment?  Does the government have the right to tell you what to do in the privacy of your own home?

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 23 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fallnangel3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:17 PM
IMO no. Cigarettes are legal, unless the government is going to pay their rent I think thet should stay out of our homes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fallnangel3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:18 PM
That should be they not thet lol. (Cm can we get that edit mobile option yet? PLEASE!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Quoting fallnangel3:

IMO no. Cigarettes are legal, unless the government is going to pay their rent I think thet should stay out of our homes!

That's what I thought . . . even though I hate cigarette smoke, the government needs to stop getting so involved in our daily lives!

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 23 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

LancesMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:34 PM

This is tough! I think people have the right to smoke in there homes. But then it is soooo hard to get the smoke smell out of carpets and drapes and even walls. So maybe a extra cleaning fee, but I can't see taking it away. Or making smoking and non-smoking apartments, by the building. So the whole building of apartments smokes or not. =)

mom2twoboys41
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:40 PM

ditto even thoughi don't smoke

Quoting fallnangel3:

Liansmommie
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 3:45 AM

No. we are the only non smokers in our place and we can smell it with our windows closed. I am all for peoples rights but it's not fair for me to have to deal with a habit I don't have in my own apartment which I pay rent on.

shell81
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I think it should be up to the person... Or the person renting the place out NOT the Gov

NearSeattleMom
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Quoting Liansmommie:

No. we are the only non smokers in our place and we can smell it with our windows closed. I am all for peoples rights but it's not fair for me to have to deal with a habit I don't have in my own apartment which I pay rent on.

That's understandable . . . I would hate smelling smoke from other apartments . . . I'm thankful I live in a house. 

Liansmommie
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 7:12 AM

The ironic part is that they don't smoke inside their own apartments because of the smell. =/  Go figure!

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Quoting Liansmommie:

That's understandable . . . I would hate smelling smoke from other apartments . . . I'm thankful I live in a house. 

yogapantz
by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Guess what? If people weren't such selfish tools in the first place, and did the right thing on their own, the government would not HAVE to step in and make laws like this. This statement is applicable to many such "intrusions" by the government, from stricter gun laws to workplace safety.

Obviously, this law has been lobbied for by both landlords and non-smoking tenants. It wasn't just arbitraily plucked from the air to mess with smokers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)