Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Neighborly Greet? (updated!)

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM
  • 33 Replies

So we have new neighbors right next door.

I wonder, is it still appropriate to introduce yourself, welcome them and bring a lil something to them? Like, cookies, or a plant?

Or is that just way too Mrs. Kravitz (ala Bewitched)?

Thoughts?

by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shell81
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:18 AM

We didn't get a neighborly greeting when we moved in our house the day before Thanksgiving. I went and said hi to one neighbor though because I needed to see if where I wanted to park our truck was on her property LOL.

I think it is good to do still!

~Shell~
Group Owner Of ~  Tween Titans ~
Group Admin In ~ CafeMom Group Resource Center ~
Group Mod In ~
Moms With Teens ~
Group Mod In  ~
The Park Bench ~

ambie5805
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I think it's a fine thing to introduce yourself to new neighbors.  When we moved a year and a half ago, we didn't get any greetings.  Granted, we moved Easter weekend, but still.  The once neighbor still rarely says hi when we are both outside in the back yard and it makes me feel uncomfortable. 

Radarma
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Thanks gals...I am such a private person when I am IN my home, but I feel like I should greet them and intro ourselves.

Cookies might be pushing it for me. HAHAHAHAH

momof3angela
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I sure would:))))

usmclife58
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM

We are the "new kids on the block" and got a neighborly greet by all but one of our neighbors. We got invites to use their pools, go with them to the lake on their boat, to call if we needed anything. One of the neighbors said she was going to bake us something, but she didn't have time before they came over. It felt very welcoming and made me much more comfortable. And there are no awkward moments when we see each other out like "should I wave or pretend like I don't see them?" LOL!

Allergic2Stupid
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Honestly?  I wouldn't eat anything given to me by someone I don't know....  But that's just me.  My job makes me paranoid.  I live in a "co-op" complex filled with mostly elderly folks, young families and weird single people.  I'm OK with the old folks that talk to us but still wary.  My kids are little and just learning about strangers.

Yes I will pass my paranoia onto my children...it's safer than the alternative!

Radarma
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Quoting Allergic2Stupid:

Honestly?  I wouldn't eat anything given to me by someone I don't know....  But that's just me.  My job makes me paranoid.  I live in a "co-op" complex filled with mostly elderly folks, young families and weird single people.  I'm OK with the old folks that talk to us but still wary.  My kids are little and just learning about strangers.

LOL

Really? If your neighbor brought you cookies, what would you do? Accept the cookies and toss them? What?

You interest me.

Cafe Robin
by Head Admin on Sep. 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I think it's a great idea - and if you have the time and energy, do it:)

When we moved into our home, our neighbor brought us a molten lava chocolate cake - it was so good!!  She baked it herself! 

Then, a few months later when I had my 2nd baby, all of the neighbors started bringing stuff - even the neighbors I hadn't met yet.  The dad across the street baked us a lasagne and then the next day brought us a homemade cheescake!

If you can do it, I think it's worth the effort.  Maybe just make some cookies or muffins - or maybe buy them at the store so they're sealed up and no one worries....:)

baking

momof3angela
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Awwwww, all of our neighborhood's should be like your's:)

Quoting Cafe Robin:

I think it's a great idea - and if you have the time and energy, do it:)

When we moved into our home, our neighbor brought us a molten lava chocolate cake - it was so good!!  She baked it herself! 

Then, a few months later when I had my 2nd baby, all of the neighbors started bringing stuff - even the neighbors I hadn't met yet.  The dad across the street baked us a lasagne and then the next day brought us a homemade cheescake!

If you can do it, I think it's worth the effort.  Maybe just make some cookies or muffins - or maybe buy them at the store so they're sealed up and no one worries....:)

baking

Allergic2Stupid
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Oh I wouldn't be rude to their face no no...I would accept whatever they brought..thank them and I would honestly appreciate the gesture....and promptly discard of whatever it was if it wasn't something sealed from a store.  Even then I'd still be wary.....

Sometimes knowing too much makes ya whacko!

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting Allergic2Stupid:

LOL

Really? If your neighbor brought you cookies, what would you do? Accept the cookies and toss them? What?

You interest me.

I believe in eating dessert first, because life is too short.  I am Canadian, support the military, believe in the death penalty, and carry a gun for a living.  I love animals, hate bullies and abusive people, and think the world would be a much happier place to live if everyone paid more attention to themselves and less to what everyone else does.

Add your quick reply below:
      You must be a member to reply to this post.
      Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
      Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)