Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

How Has The Bad Economy Directly Effected Your Family?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM
  • 6 Replies

How has the bad economy directly effected your family?

This could include any aspect of it, including the mortgage crisis, poor job market etc etc.

by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
maciymommieof3
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 9:43 PM

so far I have not got the axe..but I have done it to too many people for the last 5 years...(I am human resource exec)....My job has changed every year.....

I think how it has effected us....

depression (emotional)

debt (physcial)

yogapantz
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM

My husband has not gotten the raise that was supposed to come with his promotion due to "budget freezes".  They aren't going to fix all the many, many unsafe things on his job due to those freezes as well. He can't quit this job because we have to keep the insurance.  I am sorely tempted to report everything to OSHA and let them come in and shut the place down, then he would get laid off, and could get unemployment and use that to go to school and train for something that isn't going to be replaced by the internet. I could work around a school schedule a lot easier than his work schedule now!

But seriously, living on frozen wages for three years while everything around us went up more every day SUCKED. Plus, we have major medical bills. Thankfully, we have no credit card debt. We did take out a loan so we could move, but I view that as a positive because once we pay that off our credit will have imporved to the point where we can get a good interest rate on a car loan. 

shell81
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Yes but it could be worse.

maciymommieof3
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 11:58 PM

I can say this...I went 3 years at a "salary freeze"..

Quoting yogapantz:

My husband has not gotten the raise that was supposed to come with his promotion due to "budget freezes".  They aren't going to fix all the many, many unsafe things on his job due to those freezes as well. He can't quit this job because we have to keep the insurance.  I am sorely tempted to report everything to OSHA and let them come in and shut the place down, then he would get laid off, and could get unemployment and use that to go to school and train for something that isn't going to be replaced by the internet. I could work around a school schedule a lot easier than his work schedule now!

But seriously, living on frozen wages for three years while everything around us went up more every day SUCKED. Plus, we have major medical bills. Thankfully, we have no credit card debt. We did take out a loan so we could move, but I view that as a positive because once we pay that off our credit will have imporved to the point where we can get a good interest rate on a car loan. 

Aydans_Mommy
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM
I was laid off from my job. Got another one making min wage. I'm looking at possibly not being able to afford Christmas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Not really *knocks on wood*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN