Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long do I wait to be the b***h?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:58 AM
  • 13 Replies

Okay, I don't want to be the bitch, but I can see the writing on the wall, the question is, how long do I wait before being the bitch...we have new neighbors (2 houses down), 3 kids all in elementary school. They moved in about a month ago, (just before school started, which was after labor day around here). They have 2 dogs, med to large size (not a dog person, so go with me here) seem to be friendly dogs, but dogs all the same. I know they have been doing A LOT  of work on the house, it was not in the best conditions, I get that. Well, they leave the fence open a lot to make it easier doing the work. The dogs are loose all the time it seems. My younger son is afraid of dogs,  especially ones he doesn't know. Friendly or not, these dogs are becoming a nuisance. I am now starting to track how often they get loose. They were loose Fri afternoon, so my son ran home from the bus stop. Loose again this morning, before the bus. So, how long till I figure out who to call to get this straightened out.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Bitch or not, nothing means more than your kids. If the neighbors don;t like your opinion or concerns, that's just too bad IMO!  Letting the dogs loose is WRONG and I would think none of the other neighbors are happy about it either.Try talking as friendly as possible about your son's fears and see how it goes...tell them how great the progress is on the house...sometimes there is just no way to get along, but it's worth a shot...and sometimes you will always be the bitch!LOL

LivinDeadGurl
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I would have already said something to them. You don't really have to be a bitch about it. You can just say something simple like, you understand that it makes it easier for them to work on the house with the gate open, but the dogs running loose are becoming a problem. You don't even have to mention your son. Just mention that you know the neighbors may call animal control if they see dogs running loose and you want to give them a heads up.

We had the same issue for a while around here. Some people moved in who NEVER kept their dogs locked up. I would see them running through my front yard almost daily and if my back gate was open, sometimes they could even come in and come up to my back door. My daughter was recently bitten by a neighbor's dog so she is terrified of all dogs and wouldn't go outside at all because she was afraid they would be out there. We ended up having to call animal control because the owners insisted that the dogs kept getting out of the gate even though we never saw the gate closed....ever.

shell81
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I agree with the other posters and I would say something NOW not later. It is not you being a bitch it is the safety of your kids and your kids having a right to play outside!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

shell81
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Oh is there a leash law in your county? I ask cause where I live there is one. Your dog HAS to be a on leash.

Radarma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM

You handle that ASAP.

And if I were you, I would honestly start with a simple "how ya doing, welcome and what ups with the loose dogs?" chat.

I AM a dog person and that would NOT fly with me at all either.

Let us know how it goes.

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I AM a dog person and I agree with everyone else.

The sooner you address this issue the better.

Plus even for their OWN dogs sakes they should NOT be letting them run loose anyway, they could run away or get hit by a car and if something happens and they bite someone they can face serious chargees and even lose their dogs.

Your son should be able to feel safe too.

I agree you dont have to be bitchy about it.  Just friendly but make sure they know you are serious. Or if you dont want to deal with them directly just call on them anonomously and let the authorities warn them.

Radarma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM

And in all honesty, this is a VERY tough and touchy situation...people get weird when other people critique their pet parenting.

Try bringing some cookies over!

fig219
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Thanks everyone. I just sspoke to a neighbor who lives next door to them and has two dogs of her own and she agrees and also backs up what I said about the dogs being loose so often (she said about twice a day it happens). Yeah, this might have to be the weekend for it, think I'll start baking!! I'll make a post after the chat to keep you all filled in. Keep fingers crossed. (In themean time, my son  knows to call from the bus so I can pick him up at the bus stop which is like 5 houses away, how crazy is this?!)

Barronbaby
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM
I agree with everyone do something now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yogapantz
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM

You have to say something to them about it first. They may assume since no one is saying anything to them directly about their dogs being loose, that people on your street are OK with them running around. You should also see if there are some homeowners association rules about loose pets or something to back you up, and leash laws for your town. If the dogs still run loose, call animal control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)