Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Did your parents spank you ?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you believe in spanking your kids?

by on Nov. 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Yes

Sunshine_Rayne
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM

No and No. My parents believed in consequences and what ever we got in trouble for we dealt with the consequences. Which was being grounded , and taking away privileges. I will do the same with our kids .

manifer_momma
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM
once. But the usual was ALOT of hysterical yelling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Nov. 20, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Yes.  There is a huge difference in spanking and beating.  My kids were spanked, when we felt the need was called for, but they were told why and after they always got hugs & kisses.  Spankings were tempered with love.  The spankings were also followed by generally being sent to their room.  Our kids have never felt they were mistreated either.

Pandana
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 1:39 AM

I was spanked a handful of times as a kid. But usually the consequences were actually designed to suit whatever the behavior was. I honestly can't remember WHY I was spanked on the occasions that I was.

I think that in itself speaks volumes about my spanking experience. In order for discipline to serve a purpose (beyond temporary intimidation or parental adrenaline-expender) the lesson BEHIND the spanking must be more memorable than the spanking itself. But when I look back, I only recall a few spankings, but not why they occurred. Yet I recall in great detail every time my forced me to sit at the kitchen table and lectured me almost endlessly about why I did what I did and why it was stupid. It was times like thse I WISHED he'd just spank me and let me get on with my life LOL.

So no. I don't do because I don't think it serves a great purpose (other than intimidation and I don't equate intimidation with respect, so I do not find it desirable.) I work towards more lasting and applicable life lessons in my disciplinary approach.

LovelyMother88
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM

My Dad did. We had colored sticks in the 3rd grade (that's the only year I lived with him until I was 13) Green=perfect, yellow=1 warning, orange=2 warnings, red=punishment. If I even got a yellow stick I got whooped.

I don't spank right now, he is only 2. I hope I can find alternatives to spanking that work, but if not I am not opposed to a spanking here and there when needed.

toomanypoodles
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 3:13 AM

We spanked our kids, yes....I never needed spanking as a kid.  ;)

NickieLem
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 3:21 AM

I was spanked and my kids were spanked and we are all fine!

EireLass
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2010 at 9:10 AM

8 kids in our family. They were non-spanking parents. We all should have had our ass' kicked. Yes, we all grew up to spank our kids. 

IhartU
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I was beat and abused as a child and I do not believe in spanking what so ever. To me, it only shows loss of control, anger and lack of parenting skills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN