Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Teen's Hair Set on Fire on School Bus

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

3 Students Arrested in Bullying Incident After 15-Year-Old's Hair Was Torched by Lighters

CBS/AP)  MIDDLETOWN, Ohio - Three students have been arrested following an incident Friday in which a fellow student's hair was set on fire while riding a school bus.

Devin Lewis, 15, told the The Middletown Journal that he was listening to music while on the bus when someone pulled off his hood, and another student held a flame in front of his face.

According to the police report, that's when another male student holding a lighter lit Lewis' hair on fire.

"I felt the heat on the back and somebody blowing my hair," Lewis told CBS Affiliate WKRC.

He reached to the back of his head, and when he looked at his hand, "I just saw ashes."

His hair was singed almost to the scalp.

Other students extinguished the flames.

Police said a 17-year-old junior has been charged with aggravated menacing and assault, and a 15-year-old freshman with aggravated menacing. Another 17-year-old junior has been charged with obstructing official business.

The three students have been suspended, and face expulsion.

On Monday another incident occurred on a Middletown school bus between a 16-year-old female student and another 17-year-old female student who is nine months pregnant, while riding home from an alternative school in West Chester Township.

The pregnant student and the bus driver were allegedly struck before the 16-year-old girl fled. An aide on the board who tried to intervene was also bruised.

Police were still searching for the missing girl.

"It is an epidemic," Lewis told the paper. "There are a lot of kids out there in the same situation. Nobody should feel like they're not safe at school."

Middletown City Schools spokeswoman Debbie Alberico said there is no connection between the two incidents, but that they are under investigation.

"We don’t tolerate any of this stuff," Alberico told the Middletown Journal. "We don’t tolerate lighting hair on fire, fighting, hitting, bullying and serious misbehavior."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/08/national/main7329245.shtml

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barronbaby
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM
wow....its all I can say
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM

It's just crazy what happens...

CoeyG
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Back in my day this never would have happened, kids who caused problems on the school bus were given two warnings, which meant a visit to the Principal's office and a letter sent home telling the parents what happened and that the third time their kid got into trouble would be the last time the kid rode the bus.  And they followed through.  The third infraction of the rules and the kid was no longer allowed to ride the bus.  Parents had to make their own arrangements for getting their brat to and from school after that. 

LilyofPhilly
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

What we must remember is that this is all part of that crucial socialization that kids need to learn how to exist in the real world when they're grown up. We can't shelter kids. They need to learn how to deal with bullying. How else will they be able to stand up for themselves if one of their co-workers or neighbors lights their hair on fire?

aneela
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Good stuff...where did they go wrong you know??? Ridiculous stuff..dangerous...just...crazy..

Quoting CoeyG:

Back in my day this never would have happened, kids who caused problems on the school bus were given two warnings, which meant a visit to the Principal's office and a letter sent home telling the parents what happened and that the third time their kid got into trouble would be the last time the kid rode the bus.  And they followed through.  The third infraction of the rules and the kid was no longer allowed to ride the bus.  Parents had to make their own arrangements for getting their brat to and from school after that. 

CoeyG
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

What we must remember is that this is all part of that crucial socialization that kids need to learn how to exist in the real world when they're grown up. We can't shelter kids. They need to learn how to deal with bullying. How else will they be able to stand up for themselves if one of their co-workers or neighbors lights their hair on fire?

Bullying is different than assault.  Setting someone's hair on fire is assault and those kids need to be locked up

tericared
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I am so glad the only part of this kid that got burned was his hair, I have seen a person on fire, and remember the intense rehab and surgeries to help him heal, sort of...Any way...What the hell is wrong with people?

usmclife58
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM

That is just so horribly sad. And scary.

mamawmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM

It would be assault.How do they let stuff like this happen?

LilyofPhilly
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:45 AM
Indeed. What sort of climate would make these kids think they could do this to another student?

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Bullying is different than assault.  Setting someone's hair on fire is assault and those kids need to be locked up

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)