Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Underage Drinking

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM
  • 22 Replies

What is the best way to handle underage kids and drinking? Is it best to never allow them even a sip until they reach the drinking age? Is it best to let them try alcohol in your own home under your supervision? If so, is it hypocritical to have it be illegal but allow it as a parent? Does it matter if your underage kid is away at college?

Would you ever knowingly serve alcohol to other underage kids in your own home? If so, would you take any precautions to make sure they get home safely (e.g., call their parents, drive the kids home or have them sleep over)?

If you found out your underage kids were drinking at another kid's house, would you notify the other kid's parents?

bday2 Melissa

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM

While I allowed my daughter to have a bit of wine now and then between the ages of 17 and 21 that didn't mean it was allowed all the time, and I would never allow any of her friends to drink in my home underage.  There were special family occasions when she was allowed champagne, wine when she was younger but it was watered down.  My ex's family are Italian and children drink watered down wine at family events, they are also well supervised. 

StoryKeepers
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:08 PM

We don't drink, so we don't have any alcohol around in our home. We don't serve it either when we have parties. When my children go to a friends home, we always know their friends parents and they are usualy like minded. If they are not, then we make sure they know our feelings on it. My children have seen what alcohol can do to a person and they want no part of it.

momto1girl3boys
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:43 PM
That's a lot to think about. I know I would never let my childrens friends drink in my home. I would be irritated if I found out adults gave my children alcohol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell81
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Quoting momto1girl3boys:

That's a lot to think about. I know I would never let my childrens friends drink in my home. I would be irritated if I found out adults gave my children alcohol.

I agree 100%

~Shell~
Group Owner Of ~  Tween Titans ~
Group Mod In ~
Moms With Teens ~
Group Mod In  ~
The Park Bench ~

SimplyMadness
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:49 AM
When I was 16 my friends mom was a bartender and before she'd go to work, she'd take us to this liquor store and get us whatever we asked for, drop us off back home and she'd take off to work.
We never ever got out of hand there, BUT I wouldn't ever do that myself for my girls lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
witch_e_woman
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:30 AM
Yup, I can testify to the Italian family wine trads.. its true. They do allow it.

Quoting CoeyG:

While I allowed my daughter to have a bit of wine now and then between the ages of 17 and 21 that didn't mean it was allowed all the time, and I would never allow any of her friends to drink in my home underage.  There were special family occasions when she was allowed champagne, wine when she was younger but it was watered down.  My ex's family are Italian and children drink watered down wine at family events, they are also well supervised. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplyMadness
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:11 AM
Germans are the same w/ beer.
That's all I was offered at my oma's house during big dinners.
It was NEVER a lot, but wine and beer were given during the meal in small amounts.

Quoting witch_e_woman:

Yup, I can testify to the Italian family wine trads.. its true. They do allow it.

Quoting CoeyG:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I never had alcohol in my home while raising my kids, so it wasn't an option for me to serve it to them. I do know they drank underage....because I'm a realist, and they were teens. (yes I know there's alot of you that will say "not my child") There was never a 'bad situation' because of it. They have the wits enough to have designated drivers....even now at 31 & 28.

What I do know about college kids......from working at one....if they are caught with alcohol, typically it's just taken away, and if they're okay, they're left to sleep it off. If they are ugly, they're taken into protective custody, but the parents aren't notified, as they're now "adults" (over 18). 

mamawmom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM

My brother was an alcoholic .He died of liver failure at the age of 45.It's not a pretty way to die.We didn't keep alcohol in the home and I explained to my kids that alcoholism was believed to be hereditary and that no one even said 'I want  to be a alcoholic when I grow up'.Some ppl can drink it and never become alcoholic and some are doomed after just a few.Since they are grown up now all 4 have admitted to trying it mostly just to be cool with their friends as teens but Thank God none of them drink at all now.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I would never serve it, but I know of parents that do. If the other parents agree and know its going on, I guess its okay as long as you take their keys and make them stay. I mean underage like 20...not 14!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)