Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baha'i 2/20

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM
  • 9 Replies

God's purpose in sending His Prophets unto men is twofold. The first is to liberate the children of men from the darkness of ignorance, and guide them to the light of true understanding. The second is to ensure the peace and tranquillity of mankind, and provide all the means by which they can be established.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
IhartU
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Quoting CoeyG:

God's purpose in sending His Prophets unto men is twofold. The first is to liberate the children of men from the darkness of ignorance, and guide them to the light of true understanding. The second is to ensure the peace and tranquillity of mankind, and provide all the means by which they can be established.

I am going to have to totally disagree with this quote. I don't see how learning about God has done anything but keep people in darkness and ignornance. I mean religion and the idea of God has been around forever and what exactly has it done that is possitve? Has it created unity among man? Lessened wars and destruction? From my perspective, it has caused nothing but hatred, anger, division, war and death among the human race.

Mankind does not need a God to be peaceful or understanding- what they need is to love, trust and have faith and respect in themselves and thier fellow man.

CoeyG
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting CoeyG:

I am going to have to totally disagree with this quote. I don't see how learning about God has done anything but keep people in darkness and ignornance. I mean religion and the idea of God has been around forever and what exactly has it done that is possitve? Has it created unity among man? Lessened wars and destruction? From my perspective, it has caused nothing but hatred, anger, division, war and death among the human race.

Mankind does not need a God to be peaceful or understanding- what they need is to love, trust and have faith and respect in themselves and thier fellow man.

So you feel that learning (education) is a bad thing then?  Education is what removes us from the darkness, if there is nothing to learn then there is nothing to ponder, to think about there is no reason for us to use our imaginations or to find out more. 

IhartU
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting CoeyG:

I am going to have to totally disagree with this quote. I don't see how learning about God has done anything but keeppeople in darkness and ignornance.I mean religion and the idea of God has been around forever and what exactly has it done that is possitve? Has it created unity among man? Lessened wars and destruction? From my perspective, it has caused nothing but hatred, anger, division, war and death among the human race.

So you feel that learning (education) is a bad thing then?  Education is what removes us from the darkness, if there is nothing to learn then there is nothing to ponder, to think about there is no reason for us to use our imaginations or to find out more. 

I don't see how religion and education are synonymous.  I am talking of religion and how nothing positive has come out of it concerning mankind and the world in general. Of course people should continue to learn but I think religion holds man back from educated progression.

CoeyG
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting CoeyG:

I am going to have to totally disagree with this quote. I don't see how learning about God has done anything but keeppeople in darkness and ignornance.I mean religion and the idea of God has been around forever and what exactly has it done that is possitve? Has it created unity among man? Lessened wars and destruction? From my perspective, it has caused nothing but hatred, anger, division, war and death among the human race.

I don't see how religion and education are synonymous.  I am talking of religion and how nothing positive has come out of it concerning mankind and the world in general. Of course people should continue to learn but I think religion holds man back from educated progression.

I have information at my hands regarding just about every religion on this planet.  Although I do "study" the Baha'i faith however I do not "subscribe" to any particular faith.  I do believe in God, one universal God but that does not mean I do not accept the exisitences of other prophets or that my faith is all that I have to learn.  Religion and education go hand in hand because when you learn about religions and faiths that are not your own you are leaning about other cultures, other peoples and you are bridging the gaps between "us and them"  by learning of other faiths you are reducing the fear that so often comes with facing the unknown and reducing that fear puts us on the direct path to peace. 

charlotsomtimes
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting CoeyG:

I have information at my hands regarding just about every religion on this planet.  Although I do "study" the Baha'i faith however I do not "subscribe" to any particular faith.  I do believe in God, one universal God but that does not mean I do not accept the exisitences of other prophets or that my faith is all that I have to learn.  Religion and education go hand in hand because when you learn about religions and faiths that are not your own you are leaning about other cultures, other peoples and you are bridging the gaps between "us and them"  by learning of other faiths you are reducing the fear that so often comes with facing the unknown and reducing that fear puts us on the direct path to peace. 

I agree that IF people would learn about all kinds of religions and ideas that the world would be a better place...

The problem is that many either don't care,  don't want to take the time, or are too afraid of what they might find if they start exploring other ideas

I gotta go with IhartU on this...

usmclife58
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Thanks for sharing :)

Peacefulpanda
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting CoeyG:

I have information at my hands regarding just about every religion on this planet.  Although I do "study" the Baha'i faith however I do not "subscribe" to any particular faith.  I do believe in God, oneuniversal God but that does not mean I do not accept the exisitences of other prophets or that my faith is all that I have to learn.  Religion and education go hand in hand because when you learn about religions and faiths that are not your own you are leaning about other cultures, other peoples and you are bridging the gaps between "us and them"  by learning of other faiths you are reducing the fear that so often comes with facing the unknown and reducing that fear puts us on the direct path to peace. 

I agree with you about learning the beliefs of others, but what I think ihartu is talking about is other forms of education. Like, there are a lot of "religious" people that refuse to let their children learn about science because it goes against what their religion teaches and there are many other things like this that people refuse to learn or research because it may go against their religious teachings. 

tericared
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

I do believe these are the reasons for God sending Prophets.....Thanks for sharing..

LexiCouture
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM
"I mean religion and the idea of God has been around forever and what exactly has it done that is possitve?"
I'm going to have to play devils advocate here...
I for one do NOT believe in any religion.
BUT it has done good.

What about that ONE person, who felt they had nothing to live for, and who's life spiraled down to as low as possible, and then somehow turned around and threw his/her life into christ or any other religion?

If there is or isn't something or someone higher than us, and nothing any book says is right, IT DOESNT MATTER. It's the fact that religion is, at it's least, something the weak can turn to in time of need.
People don't need results all the time to be helped in times of need.
Sometimes people just need something to believe in.
It doesn't matter what it is.

So yes, religion and everything involved, has done good. Maybe not to the magnitude YOU think should qualify for "good", but it has undoubtedly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)