Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD 2/20/11

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:16 AM
  • 27 Replies

Do you smoke or have you ever smoked?

~Shell~
Group Owner Of ~  Tween Titans ~
Group Mod In ~
Moms With Teens ~
Group Mod In  ~
The Park Bench ~

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shell81
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Sorry QOTD was not wrote the past couple days. I had to go out of town but it is back now. I got back a couple hrs ago:)

ZBandMom
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I smoked for over 5 years and quit amost 2 1/2 years ago.  I still crave cigarettes every dang day and I haven't had one since I quit, but dammit I want one!  LOL 

toomanypoodles
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:36 AM

I did years and years ago---back when I was stupid. 

CoeyG
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:22 AM

I began smoking when I was about 11 years old.  I had a "thing" for the smell of tobacco and hung with slightly older kids who smoked and wanted to be part of "the crowd".  To top that off both of my parents as well as most of the adults in my family smoked and did most of my parent's friends.  Smoking was part of the "social scene".  Back when I began smoking there were no warnings on cigs and they were $.25 a pack, and most gas stations, drug or "dime stores" and fast food places had machines that even kids could get a pack of smokes from.  No one knew that smoking could lead to cancer or other pulmonary problems and when that information became available at first it was treated as something important, it was like "Oh yeah you might get cancer from smoking or you might have pulmonary problems as you get older but keep lighting up".  And I did. 

In school I hung out in the main hall bathroom with the rest of the smokers.  we knew were weren't hiding anything because any idiot could see the smoke billowing out every time the door was opened.  We had open campus so at lunch we'd all hang out at the A & W Stand across from the school which is where we got most of our packs of smokes.  Not only were they making money selling us high caloric fatty foods but they were making a bundle from that machine they kept well stocked with our favorite brands.  I smoked even though my father woke us every morning hacking up his lungs and on road trips would often have to pull over to hock a brownish yellow luggie from his lungs out the car window.  I continued to smoke when my mother was diagnosed with emphysema and even when my father was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer.  I continued to smoke when my aunt died from lung cancer and I kept on smoking while sitting for three weeks watching my father die from lung cancer. 

I smoked while one of my best friends drug around an oxygen tank at the age of 25 because she had lost one lung to cancer and the other wasn't in very good shape either.  I smoked at my desk at work (we could do that back in the olden days).  When we all went out and partied one of the most important things we did was to make sure we had enough cigarettes and a bunch of bic lighters because we all knew that somewhere during the evenings events we were bound to leave one of those lighters somewhere or someone would "forget" to give it back after using it.  I smoked in every bar, restaruant, at every public event attended...

Then something "strange" happened.  I woke up one morning, poured my usual mug of coffee, grabbed my smokes and a lighter, popped one in my mouth, began to light it and ran straight for the bathroom and vomited.  I tried to light up again and the same thing happened.  After the 5th time I gave up and called the doctor, something  just wasn't right...could I be pregnant?  The first test came back negative so I made another appointment for two weeks.  I was able to "sneak" in a smoke or two in that time but usually was met with the same results...heading to the bathroom.  Before the results of the pregnancy test came back I knew the diagnosis.  Told my DH to take the last pack of cigarettes I had because I wasn't quitting...he took half and left me half and as he walked out the door I broke them to pieces and tossed them.  That was March 22 1985 and I haven't had a cigarette since...going on 26 years.  They say for every 5-10 years you quit smoking you add on an extra year of life...they don't tell you though that even though you quit you are still susceptible to COPD, Asthma, Emphysema, Chronic bronchitis/pneumonia and that lovely morning hack that brings up the brownish luggies...oh and a future dragging around an oxygen tank as well...Happy smoking.

Number1Chef
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:41 AM

never

rosiemendo
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Yes, I did smoke many, many years ago.  Since I lost my best friend to cancer, I would never smoke again.

kjbennett26
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I have maybe smoked 1 whole cigarette.  Though when I "socially" drink I love cherry vanilla black and milds

adnilm
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Quit smoking 17 years ago

EireLass
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I've never smoked cigarettes. I smoke marijuana. 

NevadaSky
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:13 AM

yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)