Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public assistance. (No, not what you think!)

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

How do you feel about the public assistance programs in this country as they are being run now?

Do you think they could be improved?

If so, how? (And please be realistic. Cost and tax burdens should be taken into consideration.)

Do you think it's fair that (from my understanding) the cost of living is not factored in when someone is being considered for an assistance program?

Do you think there is an under-served portion of Americans when it comes to receiving/qualifying for public assistance programs? If so, what kind of program would you like to see put into place?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toomanypoodles
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

The system is broken and needs a BIG overhaul---by Conservatives!

CoeyG
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Well I get food stamps and medicaid, could use a bit of cash assistance until I get some determination of disability...but I'm not pregnant, don't have children under the age of 5 and I speak english.  I think part of what needs to be changed is that we start taking care of those who are here legally who are trying to make it, working, paying into the stystem themselves but need a hand because they make below the poverty level.   (Combined Shannon and I made a whopping $15,000 last year).  It is no secret that money illegals get is sent back over the borders (and I'm not just talking Mexican) to be put away for those who do not live/work here legally.  I feel regardless of where you are from, if you are working illegally, not paying into the system then you should not be able to get anything out of the system.  If you work and pay taxes, etc and fall upon hard times then you should reap some of the benefits your years of hard work and paying into the system has earned you.

usmclife58
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

I think it could be improved greatly. I think too many people are able to abuse the system, and some that NEED it are unable to get it.

EireLass
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I'm glad we have a program for those in need. 

maciymommieof3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I think in todays economy there are alot who go w/out. and thats just sad :(

Kassie09
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Public Assistance programs in this country are horrible...and need to be reformed immediately.

Cats3to2
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I would like to see more help for those that need it. I was very sorry years ago when they limited how long a mom with kids could get help and forced all the moms to work.  Just to get assistance you need to be so poor you can't afford basic neccessities of life. I used to give a friend on assistance toilet paper and deoderant because she couldn't pay for basic things like that.  And to send all those moms to work they had to pay for things like headstart and job training programs. So I don't see why we drive families apart. I'd rather get rid of head start and let the moms raise their own kids.  We could also better fund birth control methods to prevent there being tons of kids on assistance.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Well said!

Quoting usmclife58:

I think it could be improved greatly. I think too many people are able to abuse the system, and some that NEED it are unable to get it.

Myspace Comments  

TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I agree....If you make enough to get by, you are fortunate in today's economy!

Quoting maciymommieof3:

I think in todays economy there are alot who go w/out. and thats just sad :(

Myspace Comments  

ImKristen
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM

It is time that we redo the PA/Welfare programs in this country,and enact stricter rules for receiving it.The current structure isn't working,and hasn't for some time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)