Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you "baby talk"? piog

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM
  • 12 Replies

I posted about this in my other group too.. I found most overwhelmingly agreed, lol..

Do you baby talk to your kids? Personally, It drives me crazy to hear the "goo-goo" "gaa-ga's" and "doyouwannababa" all blended together and in that high pitched voice.. LOL.. Not sure why ppl baby talk or feel the need to raise their voice 3 octaves when they talk to babies, lol!

What about you? do you baby talk? why do / don't you? Just curious. nothing wrong with it, its just a personal preference.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aqua_Jen
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM
No. He is a person and I talk to him as such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM
no they don't learn from baby talk. I do the sounds with ds... Like mamamama dadadada gagagaga gogogogo it's a game for us but it's one sound at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I never ever ever baby talked my son...course we play talk some...he is 4...but that's playing/pretend play (like animals or even imitate other people)...I always talk to him in a regular way...using regular words and explaining best I can if he doesn't understand something,

okhsmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I replied in the other group, but since I posted saying I only baby talk to one of my dogs, I realized that while we didn't baby talk to our kids, a few of their words that was coined during their toddler years stuck.  We have a handful of family words that are unique to our kids' early years. Also, as far as raising the voice pitch, studies do show that babies respond to a higher pitch.

tericared
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I did not do that with my girls, and they had an amazing vocabulary at a very young age...

CoeyG
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM

No I never did, my skin crawls when I hear someone talk "itsty bitsy woobie woo" crap.  I can only figure that the poor kid is looking at this adult thinkg "say what?  Aren't those men in the white coats due to come for you soon?"

NevadaSky
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Me Too.

Quoting CoeyG:

No I never did, my skin crawls when I hear someone talk "itsty bitsy woobie woo" crap.  I can only figure that the poor kid is looking at this adult thinking "say what?  Aren't those men in the white coats due to come for you soon?"

CoolMommyofboys
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I never did

I sometimes "copy" what my niece says though- she is nineteen months- she sometimes sounds like she is talking in a foreign language

usmclife58
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I don't. I talk to my kids like they have some intelligence.

shell81
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:52 PM

I only do with a few words but NOT often...

Like " Are you ready for a bathy"

But most of the time NO because babies learn how we talk!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)