Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eating Healthy

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM
  • 16 Replies

How important is it to you that you eat healthy/feed your family healthy?

How do you do this?

I'm looking for any and all tips  =0 )      DH says we need to "eat healthier"

Thanks

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM

HA HA HA eating healthy can COST ya.

aneela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I try and buy good meats...like the perdue and sometimes the range free or all natural beef and cage free eggs but man it adds up.

aneela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I also do not eat a lot of fast food and junk food....I think that factors in as much as eating better grade food items like the hormone free meats and organic veggies.

s.t.e.p.h
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM

It's fairly important.

I definitely limit the amount of junk food I keep in the house, our snacks are healthy. I make sure the kids eat a fruit with their breakfast every morning. I try to make our snacks fun and offer variety so the kids aren't bored.

I also meal plan..I can plan to have healthier meals and that way I'm not throwing together something unhealthy. Don't get me wrong though..we do have nights where we don't eat the most healthy! I make mostly everything from scratch..barely anything comes from a box.

Hope this helps!

CoolMommyofboys
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Quoting aneela:

I also do not eat a lot of fast food and junk food....I think that factors in as much as eating better grade food items like the hormone free meats and organic veggies.

fast food is my biggest weakness    UGH

I'm thinking of stopping by Sonic (on the way to Target to buy some "healthy" food) today to get a Chicago dog- those are soooo good

s.t.e.p.h
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I'm interested to see what others have to say!

jms124
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I'm diabetic, so it's pretty important.

Whole wheat/grains, very little red meat, lots of turkey/chicken and fish, light on the salt, heavy on the veggies, very little processed foods...

My kids have been know to pass up the fresh baked chocolate cookies for the bananas. 

Don't get me wrong, we take them to McDonald's as a treat every so often and there is usually always baked goods in my house and I love fried pickles and fried chicken but it's everything in moderation.

Don't totally cut something out, it'll just make you want it more.

In fact, I'm nibbling on a pop tart as I type this!

aneela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Ha ha...yeah it's funny about the fast food...when I first moved to the States...all my friends back home thought I would gain like 50 lbs or something cause they kinda think everyone eats tons of fast food and junk...when I was still under 100 lbs (pre baby) they were shocked ha ha.

after I had my son I gained about 8 lbs...so I'm about 105...and I still don't eat a lot of junk.

Note it's not that I NEVER eat it...I just don't eat a lot...by that I mean maybe once every two weeks...at times it can be longer than that to eat fast food.

I buy potato chips and never eat it...I have thrown out chocolate and candies in this house...cause it expired or whatever..just this week I gave away a bunch of single serve peanuts...which are fine...but I just don't even eat a lot of snacks anymore!!

Good luck with making better healthier choices though...it is a very good move!!

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

Quoting aneela:

fast food is my biggest weakness    UGH

I'm thinking of stopping by Sonic (on the way to Target to buy some "healthy" food) today to get a Chicago dog- those are soooo good

CoolMommyofboys
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Quoting jms124:

Whole wheat/grains, very little red meat, lots of turkey/chicken and fish, light on the salt, heavy on the veggies, very little processed foods...

My kids have been know to pass up the fresh baked chocolate cookies for the bananas. 

Don't get me wrong, we take them to McDonald's as a treat every so often and there is usually always baked goods in my house and I love fried pickles and fried chicken but it's everything in moderation.

my husbands Mom is diabetic...that is why he wants to change cuz he knows he could be later (if he isn't already) if he doesnt' change

it's funny you mentioned Pop Tarts LOL that is something we used to eat often but I've stopped buying them so we don't any more- I don't miss them- the kids still ask for them

jms124
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

Quoting jms124:

my husbands Mom is diabetic...that is why he wants to change cuz he knows he could be later (if he isn't already) if he doesnt' change

it's funny you mentioned Pop Tarts LOL that is something we used to eat often but I've stopped buying them so we don't any more- I don't miss them- the kids still ask for them

My son had his tonsils and adenoids out in early Feb, and ended up back in the hospital for a week because he wasn't eating or drinking (his tonsils were HUGE) due to the pain.

I was buying him any food he asked for!  Pop-Tarts were something he asked for...he ate one out of the 3 different kinds I got him.

I figured, WTH, one of these would taste good with my tea :0)

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)