Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

♪♫ Somebody's Watchin Me ♪♫

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

Obviously, we are more honest when someone (or a security camera) is watching us, but studies have actually shown that if any depiction of an eye is in view, even if it is cartoonish or nonhuman, it makes people less likely to cheat or to behave immorally.

In one experiment, all a professor had to do to drastically influence the actions of her colleagues was change the clip art on a piece of paper. They did the test in a teachers lounge, where the staff enjoyed a coffee/tea station that ran on the honor system. Teachers were welcome to help themselves, but a notice posted near the station asked users to pay for their coffee in the honesty box.

A picture of a cartoon eye was placed at the top of the reminder notice, and the amount of money left in the honesty box tripled.

Just to be sure it wasn't a coincidence, the next week the eye was replaced with a flower. Contributions went back to normal. Somehow, the subtle reminder of being watched made people way more honest.

Putting this poster in your bedroom will not get you laid.

But we've not only been programmed to fear the all-seeing eye, we have also been warned since childhood that otherworldly, omnipresent forces are also watching us, all the damn time. Whether it's Santa knowing our sleeping patterns or God himself hovering over our every move like a holy hawk, many of us were told that an invisible something was watching and keeping score. As a result, even if you're an atheist, any reference to God seems to make you more generous with your money and more moral in general.

In one experiment, subjects played a game in which they unscrambled words, then decided what to do with a pot of fake money. When the unscrambled words evoked God in some way, the money was given to anonymous strangers more generously -- yes, even if the unscramblers were nonbelievers. When the unscrambled words spelled out neutral concepts, the participants were more stingy. It just takes the slightest of reminders that somewhere, somehow, someone is watching you.

Always watching you.

Do you think people are more likely to behave with such a subtle reminder?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
usmclife58
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I think so.

Personally, I always feel like someone is watching me. Not in an arrogant way, more in a paranoid way, lol!

aneela
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I didn't read everything in there...but if reality tv is anything to go by...then no...

aneela
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Ha ha I remember that song when it came out !!

aneela
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Even believers who WE as I include myself...are supposed to know that God is everywhere...sin all the time...in spite of knowing that God is everywhere...so what's a camera?? And I don't say that lightly at all...just saying.

HTMommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM

lol my kids are ALWAYS watching me! other than that...i'm pretty oblivious unless I see someone staring at me that is blatantly obvious.blank stare

CoeyG
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I sometimes feel that someone is watching me...but I figure if all they have to do is watch me then they have worse life than I do LOL

usmclife58
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM

LOL

Quoting CoeyG:

I sometimes feel that someone is watching me...but I figure if all they have to do is watch me then they have worse life than I do LOL

Liansmommie
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Quoting aneela:

I didn't read everything in there...but if reality tv is anything to go by...then no...

LOL! I reject their reality and substitute my own!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)