Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would u do in this situation?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:59 AM
  • 52 Replies
My ds and dd broke my computer this evening which means I am stuck with mobile internet,.which sucks BTW. I always put them in time out for even touching any electronic item, but I spank them for damaging them. Apparently it's not working. They have destroyed a total of 4 laptops and 1 android phone. For future reference, as I obviously can't re-punish them, how do I go about teaching them to respect others property. We are hurting for money so these items are hard to replace as we need a computer for hubby's job we will have to get another one soon. I just don't know what to do anymore. I actually broke down and cried the last time it happened and it's hard to be mad when your kids try to comfort you, so they didn't really get a punishment from the last one as I didn't want them to associate the punishment with comforting me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JosHaileyMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:01 AM
By the way ds is 3 and dd is 2ish.(Her birthday is soon.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
racheljessee
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:09 AM
I think it'd probably be best just to keep them as far away as possible from any and all electronics.
JosHaileyMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:38 AM
I try, but it's kind of hard to keep them away when you only have 1 shelf and no way to gate off a room. We are not allowed to put up any shelves and have no furniture to put it on that's out of reach. So they are always within reach. I keep them away as best I can, but I have to use the restroom every once in a while and sometimes have to take my eyes off of one to deal with the other. I swear they do it intentionally sometimes, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Johariz
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:58 AM
I have a lap top that sits in my livingroom. Each time my dd (almost 2 years old) touches it she gets in trouble. Usually a short timeout. She doesn't try to touch the computer anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betsystipo
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Can you put it on your kitchen counter?  I know a few people who do that.  Or leave it in your bedroom w/ your door closed.

mjp2707
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM
We put stuff on top of the fridge to keep it out of the way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JosHaileyMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:16 AM
I already use time outs. Kitchen counters: have none. I use a cart for kitchenette duties that they can reach and even the bathroom doesn't have a door :( so no closed doors for us. This place is really screwed up and not made for children, but with the eviction in our past and horrible credit, it was the only place that would take us and rent is astronomical for this place. We were evicted from a townhouse that we paid 927 per month. We are paying $1280 pet month for this place. It is needless to say the worst place to be financially speaking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM
At 2 and 3 you need to be supervising, not spanking.

If they broke the computer it's your fault for not watching them! How dare you hit then for being an irrisponsible parent.

Gah.. I cannot imagine hitting a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JosHaileyMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:25 AM
First off, I just want to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Everyone has different parenting styles. To each their own so forth and so on, but I didn't come here to be bashed, I came seeking advice on how to prevent from happening.
Secondly, it is legal, at least in this state, to spank your child with your hand on their butt. I don't even do it hard enough to leave even a red mark. I also only use it as a last resort. Such as if no other method works or if it is something that is dangerous. They also only get one smack for each year, so ds gets 3 and dd gets 2.
Lastly, it is impossible to watch your kids every second of the day.

Quoting danie24:

At 2 and 3 you need to be supervising, not spanking.

If they broke the computer it's your fault for not watching them! How dare you hit then for being an irrisponsible parent.

Gah.. I cannot imagine hitting a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM

These things need to be far far away from little hands!! Sorry you lost another laptop...   =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)