Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to win

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
Are your children competitive?

How do you teach them to be good sports when they loose?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CoeyG
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I've never been competitive, winning never meant that much to me and I'm afraid I passed that on to my daughter LOL.  You teach them how to be good sports by celebrating good sportsmanship rather than wins.  You stress enjoyment of the game rather than the win.  One of the ways I did it was that if Shannon's team lost I would take them out to the same place the winning team went and the kids usually wound up together because some would have friends or relatives on the other team or were involved in other activites together (scouts, dance, gymnastics)

gypsy30
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the sports program at our school.  Some of the coaches are the worst losers when they lose.  Here, it's all about win, win, win, whatever it takes to win.  I don't agree w/ that.  Being on a sports team should be about everything it's not.  Learning to work as a team, building self-confidence and self-esteem.  It doesn't really matter if they win if those things are getting accomplished.  It's not all about winning.   In the end, it's just a game.

KamiB79
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM
We are a competitive family. All the kids are involved in sports and we have taught them good sportsmanship from the beginning. There is nothing I hate more than watching a child, parent, or coach act like a fool because they lost. You shake hands, say Good game, and do it with a smile! You want to get upset you do it out of sight of other people!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoolMommyofboys
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:27 PM
I was wondering about sibling rivalry

My boys were playing air hockey just now at McDonald and the youngest kept saying "I want to win" every time the oldest scored

They "fight" when playing Wii also. And it's not only the oldest that always wins- the youngest can play just as well if not better sometimes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamiB79
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM
My kids do that occasionally. The same rules that I said above go for board games, video games, or anything else we do at home. If the one whining about winning doesn't stop after their warning then they are done playing.

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

I was wondering about sibling rivalry

My boys were playing air hockey just now at McDonald and the youngest kept saying "I want to win" every time the oldest scored

They "fight" when playing Wii also. And it's not only the oldest that always wins- the youngest can play just as well if not better sometimes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I don't really knows that she gets the win/lose yet. But we do teach her to be a good sport about things.

Charizma77
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:39 PM

My ds is not at all. But dd is a little competitive. She's only 4 but I can see it getting worse as she gets older.

thedivinemizm
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM
my dh and oldest are competitive but we teach the boys that its not all about winning its about enjoying the game.. if the other team is losing we dont tease or act a fool and vise vera
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)