Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girl dies after fall from Ferris wheel

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM
  • 9 Replies

Girl dies after fall from Ferris wheel

By Katie Silver, CNN
June 3, 2011 10:44 p.m. EDT
Abiah Jones fell at Morley Piers Mariner's Landing Pier about 12:30 p.m., police say.
Abiah Jones fell at Morley Piers Mariner's Landing Pier about 12:30 p.m., police say.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • 11-year-old girl fell Friday afternoon
  • She was on a school trip
  • The cause of the fall is unknown
  • The ride passed state inspection in March
RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- An 11-year-old girl died Friday after falling from a Ferris wheel while on a class trip to an amusement park in New Jersey, police said.

Abiah Jones fell at Morley Piers Mariner's Landing Pier about 12:30 p.m., according to the Wildwood Police Department.

First responders gave her first aid and took her to Cape Regional Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead about 1:15 p.m., according to police.

The girl was riding one of the park's main attractions, "The Great Wheel." At 156 feet, it's one of the tallest wheels on the East Coast, according to Morley Piers spokeswoman Lindsey Young.

The cause of the girl's fall was unknown and the Wildwood police and the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office continue to investigate.

The Carnival Amusement Inspectors of New Jersey were also on the scene Friday afternoon conducting their own investigation, police said.

It is the first time someone has fallen from the ride since it opened in 1985 and the park has suffered no other guest fatality, Young said.

The ride was inspected by the state in March and passed, Young said.

The PhOtO bOoTh Love photography? just learning or experienced...we have it all here+contests and more!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Family4Eternity
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:10 AM

My prayers go out to the family. This is very sad.

earthangel1967
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:40 AM

Soooo sad!  I personally feel less and less safe and more and more anxious about rides every year. I use to love them but avoid them now.

tickled_pink09
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:43 AM

Prayers to family.

I am scared of those things btw.

youngmom23143
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Thatsreally really sad I feel horrible for the parents .my question though is why was a class trip to the fair and why were students put on something that dangerous that a adult isn't sitting with them.I wouldn't want my kids going on something like that without a adult next to them knowing children can be dare devils .

aneela
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:59 AM

so so sad

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Isnt that horrible?

charlotsomtimes
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:10 AM

So awful...- I hate ferris wheels- they freak me out.  I'll happily ride coasters though...

CoeyG
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I don't like ferris wheels because when it stops at the top I get frazzled.  I dated a guy who would start the "car" we were in rocking which really freaked me out.  I stay off them now and I won't even get close to a roller coaster.

blsdbyangel07
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Wow, this is soo tragic and sad  :(  I can't imagine how that child felt when she was falling to her death.  I've always been scared of ferris wheels and idk why.  I do roller coasters but not like I used to.  I remember feeling like I was gonna fall off.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)