Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neighborly Issue

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM
  • 24 Replies

Our family had a great relationship with our neighbors. From BBQs to vacations with friends and family participation's.  Last year a new family was introduced into our group.  Their sons got involved with two of the girls in group, one being my neighbors daughter. It turned out the mother of these boys knew me from the past.  I kept asking, I knew her from somewhere, but she would deny the fact.  I found out this woman worked for my attorney years back and knew a close friend of mine, whom I thought was my friend, and ended up suing me.  This family  unexpectedly, invited a friend of theirs to a huge vacation we had planned with our group.  It turned out to be the Attorney who represented my X friend in the suit. I'm a true advocate about loving your neighbor as yourself, so  we went on the trip and acted very diplomatic about the situation. Many discrete attacks from this family have occurred since, and our neighbors have retracted from their openness and past friendliness.  Much tension is felt when we are present at any of their gatherings.  ANY ADVISE!!  

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Have a "pow wow" and get everything out in the open or stop going to the gatherings.

betsystipo
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Are you saying the neighbors who you have been friends w/ for awhile and went to the BBQs and vacations together are now acting differently since the new person/family became more involved?  If thats the case - I'd call them, or invite just them to dinner to talk.  Explain what happened in the past maybe? 

Barronbaby
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM
yea I agree with this.

Quoting betsystipo:

Are you saying the neighbors who you have been friends w/ for awhile and went to the BBQs and vacations together are now acting differently since the new person/family became more involved?  If thats the case - I'd call them, or invite just them to dinner to talk.  Explain what happened in the past maybe? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
captaindee
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Some people say not to say anything and let time take it's coarse.  Since the daughter is involved,  by speaking against the matter would put us in a bad position.I'm sure my neighbors know because already others  have mentioned how this woman has broken the group. I'm sure my neighbors saw her move on inviting this unexpected guest.  This woman knew the situation I had with him, but I didn't know they were friends.  A calculated move.  For what ever reason she doesn't like me.  I think she might be friends with my X-friend.  Also, could be jealousy, due to our previous relationship with us our kids and neighbors kids.  Her son now is involved and might feel my son in a disturbance.  I don't know, I just don't understand the matter.  It's hurtful because, we placed much time and respect in our relationship and now it doesn't feel natural. It's difficult when you're neighbors   

Charizma77
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Oh, that's a tough one! I would probably have to distance myself for awhile from them. Otherwise you can keep ignoring it and hope it gets less awkward or just get it all out in the open and see what happens. Good luck!

betsystipo
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:54 PM
Good Luck with whatever you choose to do...if the relationship means alot to you, I'd definately talk to them.
mhmomma
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I agree with Betsy.  I would talk to them.  We are close with our neighbors and we have always talked if things got weird.  Good luck

earthangel1967
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Quoting betsystipo:

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do...if the relationship means alot to you, I'd definately talk to them.

This

good luck and hugs

aneela
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 7:38 AM

this too....if it means something to you...then at least talk... best wishes

Quoting betsystipo:

Come join me at Serious Coupon Swappers.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/seriouscouponswappers

usmclife58
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM
Quoting CoeyG:

Have a "pow wow" and get everything out in the open or stop going to the gatherings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)