Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

CafeMom’s Summer Reading Retreat: Romance! (Updated with discussion link!)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hi, everyone!

Welcome to CafeMom’s Summer Reading Retreat! For our Romance read, we’re so excited to start reading The Ninth Wife by Amy Stolls!

We're discussing the book here! Click here to discuss the final chapters and overall thoughts!

Here’s a little bit about the book:
What sane woman would consider becoming any man's ninth wife? Bess Gray is a thirty-five-year-old folklorist and amateur martial artist living in Washington, DC. Just as she's about to give up all hope of marriage, she meets Rory, a charming Irish musician, and they fall in love. But Rory is a man with a secret, which he confesses to Bess when he asks for her hand: He's been married eight times before. Shocked, Bess embarks on a quest she feels she must undertake before she can give him an answer. With her bickering grandparents (married sixty-five years), her gay neighbor (himself a mystery), a shar-pei named Stella, and a mannequin named Peace, Bess sets out on a cross-country journey—unbeknownst to Rory—to seek out and question the wives who came before. What she discovers about her own past is far more than she bargained for.

The Ninth Wife is a smart, funny, eye-opening tale of love, marriage, and the power of stories to unlock the true meaning of home and family.
(From BN.com)

A bit about the author:
Amy Stolls
spent years as an environmental journalist covering the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska before she received an MFA in creative writing from American University. Currently, she is the literature program officer for the National Endowment for the Arts in Washington, D.C. Her young adult novel Palms to the Ground won a Parents’ Choice Gold Award. She lives in D.C. with her husband and two-year-old son. Read more about Amy Stolls on her website,
here.

You can purchase the book here:

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

And here’s the reading schedule:
This week: chapters 1-9
Week 2 (6/20 – 6/26):
chapters 10-19
Week 3 (6/27 - 7/3): chapters 20-29
Week 4 (7/5 – 7/10): chapters 30-39

We’ll start discussing last week’s reading on the following Monday (so we’ll be discussing chapters 1-9 a week from today, Monday 6/20. The 4th of July holiday falls on a Monday, so that week’s discussion will begin on Tuesday 6/5). We know it can be hard to not read ahead, but if you do, please try to avoid spoilers until the discussion begins in fairness to those who haven’t finished that week’s reading yet.

Author Sarah Pekkanen had this to say about The Ninth Wife:
…a witty, satisfying novel with a clever structure…There's something so sweetly endearing about both Bess and Rory that readers will pull for them, knowing the odds may be against them—even against marriage itself—but hoping that this time, true love will triumph. (The Washington Post)

Read a recent review of The Ninth Wife here.

Mystery more your thing? Click here! >>

Looking for more of an exotic adventure? Click here! >>

HAPPY READING!

reading

by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Thanks for sharing!!

Miss-B
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Quoting usmclife58:

Thanks for sharing!!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM

cool!

HTMommy
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM

awesome! now if only i can get the book

Charli627
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Haha. Me too!

Quoting HTMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HTMommy
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I am really interested in doing this and the book sounds interesting but its too long to borrow from the library and by the time I get money for the book store I have a feeling the weeks will be very far off. but we will see I want to take my kids out this week

Quoting Charli627:

Haha. Me too!

Quoting HTMommy:

sarebear31976
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 9:42 PM

our library didn't have a copy.....

lil_mama06
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Mine either...Bummer..

Quoting sarebear31976:

our library didn't have a copy.....

shell81
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Sounds good and so kick ass you all are doing this. I might have to check it out.
Thanks!

Barronbaby
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM
thanks for sharing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN