Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

warning about sparklers!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:07 AM
  • 18 Replies
I was just talking to a friend, who had a firework blow up on her and severely burned her hand.. The culprit though wasn't a typical problematic firework, but a Sparkler!

Her granddaughter was spinning around with one, the long 2ft ones they say are great for children, and she took it away cause she didn't want her to fall on it. When she took it, the sucker blew up. Flames shot down the sparkler and into her hand and actually knocked her backwards. She is getting skin grafts etc... Can u imagine that happening to that little 2 year old!

Be warned that sparklers are not as safe as they seem...yikes!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM

sparklers are never safe ......they can do exactly what happend to your friend ....i personaly dont think children should be playing with them but thats just me 

ninipanini
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM

 This happened to me on the 4th.  35  years of lighting my own sparklers...never burned...and this year was the year.

It torn the skin, blistered, now it's all discolored and gross. 

It was one of the new-fangled paper ones that are hard to light. It finally caught and sparked back on my finger. 

LivinDeadGurl
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Oh man! Those long ones scare me.

I hope your friend recovers with no issues.

LSurvivor78
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM
I think that's the same kind she had too !


Quoting ninipanini:

 This happened to me on the 4th.  35  years of lighting my own sparklers...never burned...and this year was the year.


It torn the skin, blistered, now it's all discolored and gross. 


It was one of the new-fangled paper ones that are hard to light. It finally caught and sparked back on my finger. 


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LSurvivor78
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM
Thanks, she goes to the burn specialist today


Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Oh man! Those long ones scare me.


I hope your friend recovers with no issues.


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1plustwinsmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM

The package we bought actually said "not for use by children" Ours were shorter metal ones. Personally I think a 2 year old has no business holding something that has to be lit.

Mary229
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM

My DH was burned lighting a sparkler for one of the kids this past weekend.  Not as severely as your friend, but it did burn his thumb.  It did make me question their safety.  In all the years that we used them, even since I was a child, I've never had anything like that happen before!

usmclife58
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I am, and always have been, worried about them. I just don't think they are something we will be playing with. They make me too nervous. The kind we got this year were the long ones, and we put them in the ground, lit them, and moved away to watch from a distance, lol.

JeniJonas
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:16 PM



Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Oh man! Those long ones scare me.


I hope your friend recovers with no issues.


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maciymommieof3
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:01 PM

OMG.....thanks for the warning....I have a couple of those left...in which I will be throwing away now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)