Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nifty Thrifty

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:16 AM
  • 11 Replies

Today is National Thriftshop Day

When : Always August 17th

National Thriftshop Day is a day for a real bargain.

"Thriftshops" is an old term for stores that sell items deeply discounted merchandise. It's not always the highest quality, but the price is right. You know these stores better today as discount department stores and dollar stores.

Watch for sales and specials today at Thriftshops in celebration of National Thriftshop Day. If you are a storeowner, create a sale around this special day, and watch your August sales sizzle!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:08 AM

When my daughter got her first "real" job she would shop at the Hospice thrift store in our town because she could find many of the clothes that had been purchased from The Gap, Express, Even Lord and Taylor.  I have a very good friend who's daughter got married about a year ago.  Since the girl was paying for her own dress she took my daughter's advice and decided to check the Hospice store...Poor girl almost had a heart attack when right there on the rack was a Vera Wang dress for $125.00!  She stopped looking for wedding dresses on that day LOL

mhmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:58 AM
My family are thrift store people. Me not so much. I try but always seem to find crap when I go. I know hit or miss but still. I am a bargain shopper so I tend to find just as good prices as I would in a thrift store. Oh and I do hand our clothes down also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM

I usually only find crap that really shouldn't even be on the racks or it is more than I can find on deals brand new. Between sales, outlets & whatnot, I get clothes for much cheaper than our local thrift stores. Like this weekend is Vanity Fair outlet is jeans buy 2 get one free. So, womens Lee Jeans are $5.87, buy 2 get one free. So brand new jeans for $3.91 a pair! Even the $5 jeans are cheaper than what they charge for jeans at the thrift store.

Liansmommie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Quoting mhmomma:

My family are thrift store people. Me not so much. I try but always seem to find crap when I go. I know hit or miss but still. I am a bargain shopper so I tend to find just as good prices as I would in a thrift store. Oh and I do hand our clothes down also.

I have gotten some decent buys but I hardly ever get clothes there

Flaca43
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:21 PM
Cool! Going to thrift stores is fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoolMommyofboys
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM

I went to a thrift store today and didn't even know this   LOL

they didn't have anything special going on though  :(

I didn't find anything either  :(

It is fun to go and look though...I love thrift store shopping

Charli627
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM
I've only brought books from the thrift stores
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Aw, I missed it. Oh well, don't go to our Thrift Stores enough. Usually donate more than shop

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM

bump

Apr1l
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM
I love thrifting but i didn't go.today
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)