Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has it ever occurred to you that...................

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:37 AM
  • 11 Replies

many of the electrical appliances we use that have touch screens are virtually impossible for blind people like me to use?

Many of the appliances we use in our homes, cookers, microwaves, coffeemakers etc have touch screens. You touch the screen and select whatever you want done by looking at the display. But what if you can't see the display, the touch screens or for that matter the appliance itself?

So how do I do it? Most of the appliances I use are the old-fashioned kind with knobs and dials and switches. I still have to learn where all the switches and things are but I can use the appliances.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Liansmommie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:08 AM

My mom was blind in my teenaged years. She would also have issues with new fangled technology. There are vox version of a lot of appliances.

ShelbysHope76
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Give me an oldfashioned appliance any day of the week. They last longer.

EireLass
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Good point. Glad you brought that to our attention!! 

onlygramma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I've seen appliances with braile on them. I have a microwave with it. I'm sure it isn't easy to find the braille even when it is there. I kept feeling bumps on the door, so I looked closely, and that is what the bumps are, braile. I sure don't understand how people that can't see are supposed to know how to work the microwave even with the braille on the door. That's the only place I see it on the microwave. So why do they  bother .... make it practical is what I say.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I don't think most "typical" people really think much about how those with disabilities function in todays world. 

shell81
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I don't think most "typical" people really think much about how those with disabilities function in todays world. 

~Shell~
Group Mod In Tween Titans  ~ Moms With Teens The Park Bench

mamacalifornia
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Karro
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM

BUMP!

CallieLynsMommy
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:41 PM
Unfortunately, they don't. Luckily you ladies do! If I go to a place without a ramp or elevator I'm flat out of luck! You are so determined OP! You do so much more than so many typical people.

Hugs Karro! You're such an inspiration to me!

Quoting mamacalifornia:

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM
Honestly, I don't. I've never had to really think about it. I do use the old school knob and switch appliances though so you can make coffee here anytime!

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)