Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cancer

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

Recently my son's godfather was diagnosed with cancer- Seminoma- a germ cell cancer.  His Dr. told him that if a person was going to have cancer this is the kind you would want because the survival rate is 95% if it's caught before it has the chance to spread.  Well, the cancer has spread a small amount but here is their bigger issue.  They have no insurance and under his chemo therapy he is too sick to work.  His wife is trying to go back to work but she is taking care of husband, son, her younger brother who broke his back not long ago, and her FIL who is disabled... they are in a tough position right now.

They went to the local DHHR and was told that if they couldn't get help as long as they owned thier farm because it made them have too much in 'assets'... but if they turned over their farm to the hands of a realtor it wouldn't be considered theirs anymore and could get assistance.  They sign a contract with a realtor, go back to the DHHR and they suddenly don't know why anyone would tell them this they still can't help them. 

They go to the cancer assosiation (or something along those lines) and ask for assistance and are told if they could just get the farm in someone elses name they would pay for everything... but now the land is under contract with a realtor for another 8 months... they have no income and already have 70,000 in Dr bills and rising.... 

We don't personally have any cash lying around to help them, we've been in quite a bind of our own but they are family and we really want to help them.  What can we do or what can they do??  Do you ladies have any ideas???  Thanks and God bless!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM

It sounds like the real estate person scammed them. There should be some recourse for that.

There may also be some kind of aide for people with cancer who don't have much. The hospital might know of something or the cancer informations service?

CoeyG
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:29 PM

All they can do is what they were told to do.  I have to pay for my own insurance and luckily THANKS TO OBAMA CARE I no longer have to pay $500 a month for  due to my pre exisiting conditions.  Of course it is the bottom of the barrel coverage because that is all that I can afford right now but it beats paying full amount for my oxygen and medications.  I was dropped from Medicaid becaues my disability is too much per mnth, It puts me over the $205. a month income level, even though I'm still under the poverty level.  Great government we have here isn't it?

earthangel1967
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I am so sorry that is horrible! Can people apply for ssi disability with cancer or no? Its VERY hard to get my son has it but he has numerous serious illnesses that make him unable to work ever. I am also told almost everyone gets turned down the first time and you have to reapply all over again and sometimes lawyer up and its a LOT of paperwork details and documentation and red tape.

earthangel1967
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Have they reached out to local community food banks and charities and churches in their area?

KelliansMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Have they looked into an organization just for his type of cancer?
My husband had testicular cancer stage two last year and we didn't find on for his cancer but he needed a shot to get his white blood cells back up and that qualified us for help through a company. Do try have a social worker assigned to their case to help find these thInga if not I would suggest getting one te doc office or hospital were he gets his treatments at will have someone to talk to about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

It sounds like the real estate person scammed them. There should be some recourse for that.

There may also be some kind of aide for people with cancer who don't have much. The hospital might know of something or the cancer informations service?

KelliansMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM

http://www.patientadvocate.org/  this is who we went to via our social worker when we needed help ..they covered our copays ...there was also a 200$ grant that our docters office did to help pay rent/mortage or utilities ..and another one out there that will pay for gas ...also the american cancer sociiety has volenteers that will come and sit with our during treatment or even drive you to and from :)  

artistmom889
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM

No ideas, but  my Dad is in the same situation only  with lymphoma, Thoughts and prayers bto your famly.

shell81
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM

HUGS a lot of great advice above.

Liansmommie
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:52 AM

There is some great advice here. When my mom was sick they were able to get help through various organizations. Maybe start with a google search and make  some phone calls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)