• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(pic heavy) I'm being invaded by...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM
  • 30 Replies

...hummingbirds.

Began feeding the few we saw (about 2 or 3 of them) a few weeks ago. And since then, everyday there is more. They drink 3 cups of water in about a day, day and half. I counted at least 20 of them tonight buzzing around all over, the sky was filled with them.

This pictures are from a few days ago and there were not that many around at the time I took these. I will take more tomorrow night. They seem to show up at about 6 in the morning in a hoard, and again at 7 in the evening for an evening meal. The rest of the day they come and go in smaller bunches.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM

freaking AWESOME!! my  MIL has a feeder full of hummingbird juice and they are constantly there. they sound like time helicopters.

shell81
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Very pretty!

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Quoting poshkat:

freaking AWESOME!! my  MIL has a feeder full of hummingbird juice and they are constantly there. they sound like time helicopters.

Yes! Just like mini helicopters.

We do this thing with them, whenever we put out fresh because they've drained it, we ring a bell. And we wear a red hat and put our hands just on the edge of the feeder (I did it, then my mom, and my son tonight) and we stand real still... they'll land right on the hat or our hands to drink. Had one poop directly in front of my nose two nights ago, and one pooped on my son tonight lol. The air they give off from their wings is like a mini jet stream, if the swamp ever gives out, I'm just gonna stand outside at feeding time.

And they have a habit of spreading their tails out when they chirp at each other and chase each other... I've had them do it to me too. Got right in my face, spread it's tail out and chirped at me... then it looked from side to side at me like "WTF are you doing under the feeder?".

SassyWildflower
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM

they are so pretty!!

s.t.e.p.h
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:59 PM

very cool!

mhmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Thats awesome.  I have tried to get them without success.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Nice!

Liansmommie
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:48 AM

that is cool!

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:27 PM

More pictures and videos, from tonight...

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)